New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser bolt head?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What kind of is this mauser with the odd bolt head. No claw etc?

scroll down to the pic that shows the bolt pulled back in the reciver

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=114320092

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like its not a Mauser - some type of transition to a pushfeed bolt and plunger type extractor.

The action itself looks ruined too. Way overpolished.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thats a Browning push feed Mauser action. They were all polished like that. Used to have one in 458 win mag. Worst kicking gun I ever had!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...Browning's last gasp with the FN action

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So that is a Browning creation and not a FN action browning used?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
"Browning" never manufactured much of anything; it is just a corporate name. They have contracted firearms, knives, clothes and accessories to their specifications for decades. That one is the last of the Browning-spec'd Mauser style actions from FN. I can only guess but I think it was a cost-saving attempt to make the standard FN action look "modern" to compete in the American market.

Rifle contractors have included many European and some Japanese builders. The majority of Browning pistols and shotguns were FN built too until the 60s when production began shifting to Japan. Funny that FN now owns the Browing name and still builds most Browning guns in Japan.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me the funny part is I have only seen that extractor on two Brownings and both were .458s.
Never made sense to me.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
it appears it's got a broken ejector, as well. impossible to find, but can be replaced with a ruger piece. my dad has a 7mm rem mag version, and my 270 was the kickingest gun with plastic buttplate.

heath

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote