Find
Notify
Tools

Scrollcutter's work on my monogram, great pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi everybody,

I sent my triggerguard from my Safari Express 375 H&H up to Roger kehr (Scrollcutter) to have him put my unusual monogram in the triggerguard in gold. This is the first intentional scratching I have ever caused to be done to one of my rifles. I thought that it might be a pain for him because of having to work of a piece of paper with my actual scribble on it (I initial documents and memo's etc with this monogram which contains all three of my initials). Or alternatively that since it was such small work he wouldn't be interested in it. he agreed to do it and I further compounded the hassle by asking for pictures of the process, he obliged me.

Any of you who have not worked with Roger yet and gotten some engraving or inlay done yet should do it just for the chance to work with a good craftsman (try that one on your wifes). I am very happy with the work and just need to budget this into all future rifles projects so they all are personalized. because we all know, once it is personalized we can never get rid of it. :-)

I think here Roger is already cutting in the groove at the edge of the channels to pound the gold into. (Roger, chime in on this and I will edit to be proper desc.)

This has the gold pounded in and waiting to be filed flush

Here we have it all polished out and waiting for bluing.

This is the best part, back where it belongs on the rifle, looking pretty and showing how badly the floorplate needs spicing up to match :-)

Thanks again Roger, great work.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"just for the chance to work with a good craftsman (try that one on your wifes). "

No prob. all English women know that "All guns cost around �40 and no work on a gun costs more tnan �10."

A little old lady brought a Pair of Custom Shotguns into our local Gunshop, as her husband had passed away.
"These arn't worth MUCH but can you give me something for them?" she asks.

I hear she nearly had a heart attack when the Owner handed her a cheque for $8,000.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
That's a nice personal touch, and fine work to boot!

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, what's that big circular saw doing in the background of the last pic? Is that for stockwork??

Very nice work...

DR, what are the three initials? Two are pretty easy, but I'm wondering what the third is? I see a T and a B. Is the third a K or a P? Or am I all wrong? Just curious...

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about getting my initials put on one of my guns, but mine are "F.O." and I was afraid people would misinterpret that.

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
F.O. would be perfect to have engraved on the muzzle! Maybe on a bigbore handgun?

I must say that I've never liked gold inlay but that monogram sure changed my mind.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason I use all three is my initials are B.T.S., take out the middle and I get BS, don't want that on a gun! :-)

The S is the third part of the monogram. The T and the S make the B. I must have come up with that when I was in my early teens. Now I use it every single day when I have to Hancock papers.

I had seen gold inlay on guns at shows, and liked the way some of it looked, as long as it is yellow and not the real light almost white color which on blue can look a little cheap in my opinion. I knew ahead of time that Roger uses Gold Maple Leafs, which I have owned and know the color. You have to see it in person to truly appreciate how good it looks on the blue background.

If any of you want to add a small personal touch to your rifle without making it ostentatious or "blingy" this is the way to do it. If I didn't have the monogram like that I would have gone for the three initials seperate in Old English script on the floorplate.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote