Find
Notify
Tools

Putting a Mauser on a diet -UPDATE
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redoak8:
I recently put together a 30-06 on a G.33/40 M98 action with a very trim english walnut stock and barrel, with an overall weight of 5 pounds 4 ounces, including the scope. I used it last week to kill a nice British Columbia Moose.

So it can be done. Mine holds 3 cartridges in the modified 09 Argentine magazine/TG. The 21.5" barrel tapers to .500" at the muzzle.

Right. But to my knowledge G33/40 is a small-ring action. Is it not? Those are a bit lighter than your regular 98.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NuB:
quote:
I recently put together a 30-06 on a G.33/40 M98 action with a very trim english walnut stock and barrel, with an overall weight of 5 pounds 4 ounces, including the scope. I used it last week to kill a nice British Columbia Moose.

So it can be done. Mine holds 3 cartridges in the modified 09 Argentine magazine/TG. The 21.5" barrel tapers to .500" at the muzzle.

Right. But to my knowledge G33/40 is a small-ring action. Is it not? Those are a bit lighter than your regular 98.

NuB,

You are correct, of course. And the OP did mention a military surplus mauser, which is most likely a large ring action.

But it can be done with large ring M98 actions, as well. I put together two on DWM Brazilian 1908 actions utilizing the original 7 x 57 barrels. I made one for a friend and I cannot remember exactly how much that one weighs, but probably about 5 3/4 pounds. The other one I still have, and I weighed it last nite, it is 5 pounds 7 ounces. But both the barrel and the stock are very trim, probably trimmer than most people would be comfortable with.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Redoak8
Nice accomplishment on the weight. Equally impressive is that you accomplished that weight with a 21.5" barrel length. As for the stock shape, beats the heck out of ANY plastic or laminated stock.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Someone on here has the math to taper a Mil barrel and remove the steps.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Redoak8
Nice accomplishment on the weight. Equally impressive is that you accomplished that weight with a 21.5" barrel length. As for the stock shape, beats the heck out of ANY plastic or laminated stock.
CB

Custombolt,

There is a reason for that barrel length, BTW.

I am going to make that 06 a takedown, and the overall length from the butt to the front of the receiver ring is 21.5", so that length allows me the longest barrel that will fit in the shortest possible case.

When flying with a rifle I put the locked takedown case in the middle of my checked duffle bag, layered between folded clothing. That way it is very well protected and I believe less likely to be stolen.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Someone on here has the math to taper a Mil barrel and remove the steps.

I do believe wildcat junkie does.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well thought out.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Redoak8
CB

Custombolt,

There is a reason for that barrel length, BTW.

I am going to make that 06 a takedown, and the overall length from the butt to the front of the receiver ring is 21.5", so that length allows me the longest barrel that will fit in the shortest possible case.

When flying with a rifle I put the locked takedown case in the middle of my checked duffle bag, layered between folded clothing. That way it is very well protected and I believe less likely to be stolen.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Update on original post. Sorry for the huge photos, havemn't figured out imgur yet since photobucket no longer works.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote