THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    gunsmith for muzzle brake install near San Diego?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gunsmith for muzzle brake install near San Diego?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted
Hi, asking for a friend in San Diego looking for someone to install a brake on a factory bolt 300WM. Needs pretty quick turn around-he hopes to use it on a trip leaving October 10. He's a CA resident and I'll pass along any leads. He'd like to be able to drop off/pick up in person, so the closer to SD the better.
Yes, I can't wait to bust his balls on this. He's active duty SEAL, but apparently recoil shy! We're doing a hog hunt in TX and I'll be sure to post a pic of him shooting my new 500NE...
Thanks everyone,
Bill

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I can only give you my 2 cents on putting a muzzle brake on my 300 RUM. The first time I shot it without hearing protection while hunting, I took it back to my gunsmith and had the damned thing taken off! Bruises are temporary, hearing loss is forever!
I shoot the RUM regularly and it is not my favorite rifle off the bench but shooting while hunting is no problem. My advice? NO BRAKES!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer, I agree 100% with you. Just asking around for him, but no way I'd want one on my rifle.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The only muzzle brake I'd even kind-of recommend is a Vais.

When I was stationed in Long Beach quite a while ago....
Like an idiot I let the gun shop owner talk me into getting a muzzle brake done on my .338WM while I suffered the "Waiting Period". He said he was sending it out to Hollywood Gunworks. Biggest mistake I ever made with a rifle. It was ported with an EPDM but the geometry caused it to shoot patterns rather than groups. It was now annoyingly loud even with hearing protection. Now I was doubling the hearing protection and cussing my decision.

If He "has" to use the .300 WM for this trip why not use lighter bullets and back off on the throttle? He'll shoot better.

The gunsmith I used was in Westminster and I think it was Accuracy Inc. Very good service, good work, not a terribly long wait, discount for active duty! It was a long time ago so they may not even be around anymore.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Tell him to send it my way.
I'll be more then happy to support a Frogman.
I'm minutes from the Amphib base.
He can drop it off this weekend if he wants

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Tell him to send it my way.
I'll be more then happy to support a Frogman.
I'm minutes from the Amphib base.
He can drop it off this weekend if he wants

Damn, that is awesome of you. I'll call him this afternoon and have him get in touch. Thanks again!
Bill

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
No problem

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Met Eli today. Nice guy. He picked out what he wanted. He's coming back to witness the install

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Met Eli today. Nice guy. He picked out what he wanted. He's coming back to witness the install

Thanks for helping him out. Not that it directly affect me, but knowing there are those who support you, and are willing to do a little extra for you when you are activly supporting your country makes you feel good about people.
I served in the Gulf War and must say the level of patriotism now is a breath of fresh air. I can't imagine how bad it was returning from Nam.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Oh and he's not Recoil shy, He's a sniper and recoil on precision shots is just annoying and it can (over time) lead to bad habits developing. So anything you can do to reduce it helps.
The rifle is a Savage in 300WM and has a composite stock so it's very light.
I'm gonna see if I can pick his brain while he's here.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Kerry, thanks again for helping him out. We talked today and he's really happy and appreciative. I figured he might let on his reason but left that up to him to say. He is one of the most solid guys I've ever known and our country is blessed by such fine men and women. I don't know if I directly reciprocate, but let me know if you make it to my neck of the woods so I can buy you a drink.
Bill

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to bump this thread for Kerry. He did an awesome job on Eli's brake last month. We're getting fired up for our hog hunt next week in TX!