New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Steady Rest
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a steady rest for a Logan 9 X 18 #400 lathe. I understand a South Bend 9 inch steady rest will fit also. If anyones got one they don't need please PM. Don't need new and beautiful, just one that works.
Thanks.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well good luck finding a used one as they fetch as much as a New old stock $200 and up. I tried for years to get a good deal on a used one for my South bend and no luck unless you want to pay through the nose.
I got mine from Tools4cheep.com (not affiliated other then and satisfied customer.)
It was $150 or $160 shipped Can't beat that for a new one. A couple of barrel installs would pay for the steady rest.
Also try Plazamachinery.com Same price give or take a few dollars

Good quality and a perfect fit

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good welder can fab one for you, and you can then have the base machined to fit the ways on your Logan. A possible source of help (and possibly the job done free) would be the machine shop instructor at the nearest junior college or trade school. Another source of possible help would be a Home Shop Machinist, that is, someone who has a small machine shop at his home as a hobby. Kinda sounds a lot like a gunsmith, doesn't it?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have modified a couple steady rests to fit on other lathes.

The are all big enough for a gun barrel.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found tooling for my SB lathe on ebay, craig's list, the machinist forum on chaski.com and the SB forum on yahoo.com
Mike

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, I'll give tools4cheap a look, I've heard good reports on Mr. Becks operation. Have a good day.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
As far as making one goes.... Go for it if you have the time and materials. But for me it was a lot easier just to shell out $150 and call it good. I didn't have the free time to put in to making one although I do need a follow rest and will most likely make that due to the ease of design

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here ya go...

New steady rest, South Bend 9", $150.00

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R4...t=See-All-Categories

You may want to check, there are several other steady rests there. From what I understand, the same rests fit Logan, South Bend, Atlas, and maybe more.

Cheers

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote