Find
Notify
Tools

Darcy Echols legend stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Anyone done the bondo trick to make one of these fit a drop magazine?

Got pictures?

Got pictures of rifles you have built on Echols stocks?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you expect it to hold up you need to use epoxy with possibly fiberglass. Bondo will only bond so/so plus it will chip or break off.

I use bond on gun stock patterns that I'm only going to copy once or twice. Any more than that epoxy is needed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it, thanks for the information. I had thought that it would be the other way around.

Here's my plan if you don't mind critiquing it.

1. put release agent on the bottom metal and barreled action (liberally applied as normal).

2. Sand the stock with 60 grit and dust off so the epoxy sticks well.

3. Mix the epoxy to a consistency of silly puddy and sculpt the area I am building up.

4. When the epoxy is dried sand/file to fit, after removing bottom metal.

5. prime and paint the stock.

Did I forget anything?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Curious as to why you are putting release on the barreled action? I sure wouldn't attempt to bed and mold the stock at the same time.

Don't know what epoxy you are using but I've found many of the "quick gels you pick up at the hardware to be too quick and brittle. I use Acraglas. It stays in place and strong enough to hold up.

A mechanical bond is always better than only chemical. So depending on the area. Cutting grooves, drilling holes, small pieces of screw shaft. Anything to help improve the bond. I've also cut fiberglass fibers to add strength.

I wouldn't want my box glassed in solid. I would think about a layer of electrical tap then release agent so the end result would allow a little clearance.

Last don't expect to get it perfect in one attempt. Might need a couple tries to get it the way you want it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am only putting it on the action to keep from accidentally gluing the action to the stock from the underside. I'd bed in a separate evolution on another day.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Why do you need the action in place? Alignment?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do you need a drop box?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Because he wants one.

Posts: 700 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Because he wants one.

Kicked that into awesome mode didn't you!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adding an inch of bondo to the bottom of that stock ought to kick it into awesome mode as well. Great idea!

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that Gene Simillion has installed at least 1 drop Box floor-plate assembly into a legend Stock. As to what degree of work was required to blend the deeper forend profile into the existing forend shape and how that looks with the checkering panels I do not know. Should be interesting

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to what degree of work was required to blend the deeper forend profile into the existing forend shape and how that looks with the checkering panels I do not know. Should be interesting

Blending will be the issue. I've seen a couple and they looked more add on.

I've taken a fiberglass stock for a M70 converted it to blind and made it deep enough for 4 down in 7STW. Not my cup of tea but the customer wanted it that way. It blended in but had no checkering panels to deal with.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
I know that Gene Simillion has installed at least 1 drop Box floor-plate assembly into a legend Stock. As to what degree of work was required to blend the deeper forend profile into the existing forend shape and how that looks with the checkering panels I do not know. Should be interesting

D'Arcy,

It's for personal consumption so if its ugly or beautiful it will not be your fault.