Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-war Mod 70...scope mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hi,

Does anyone make QR mounts for the pre-war mod 70's? A hunting buddy of mine would like to have this set-up on his Winchester, these rifles had a scope mount that utilized the two screw holes on the left side of the rear bridge, but i've heard that this mounting system is very hard to come by and was done as the rear bridge of the action wasn't drilled & tapped like other rifles today. Do Leupold or Warne make mounts for this particular action?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

zubin

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bridge side holes are for an aperture sight.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
The bridge side holes are for an aperture sight.

flaco

There were scope mounts that used those holes as well. Stith Master mount, Bausch & Lomb come to mind quickly as well as Stith non adjustables. there were others as wwell.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might check eBay as I thought there ws a B&L mount there the other day, if not just keep watching as they come up from time to time

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a Stith with an Alaskan in it, vastly overpriced and the scope is in bad shape, but it will give you the idea:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-Alaskan-Scope-Stith-Mounts-pr...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note that this is NOT the quick detachable Stith which is similar except can be removed with two big thumb screws leaving the bases on the rifle, Stith called it the QED mount, quick easy detachable. They do show up from time to time on ebay. Made for scopes without enlarged objectives, i.e., straight tube, in 7/8", 1" and 26mm, plus a few for the very early K4 Weaver.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B&L rear mounts use the pair of holes on the side,front are on the front ring-dont know if pre wars were d&t.original screws were allen head.mounts only worked for the straight tube B&L scopes.Baltur(21/2X),Balfor(4X),Balvar(21/2-4X)+may need a Tilden safety to clear scope.the mount was pretty low.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
should be able to find scope,bases+clamp ring assy for$150.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote