New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Base options for Browning/FN small ring 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got a nice FN small ring 98 Safari .243 here and having trouble finding any mfg's data for bases.
Front ring hole spacing is shorter than the Large ring offerings from Talley, Warne, Weaver etc.
I would love to hear suggestions, looking for the best I can buy.
I have a call in to Gary at Talley but have not heard back.
I appreciate the help gentlemen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mel5141

I have one in .308, also on the small ring M98 FN action.

I purchased a one-piece Redfield base # 511129 JR B on Ebay for it.

The original package is marked "Short FN Action Scope Mount Base, Browning .243, .308"

It takes the standard Leuopld/Redfield rotary dovetail rings. I believe that it could be cut and drilled to make a two piece base, without too much work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39334...e:g:2r4AAOSwc4xgLra2

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Red Oak.... thank you so much for your information.
I had a conversation this afternoon with my friend and frequent shooting companion, George Caswell, about the gun. George graciously sent me his archived listing of a .308 similar to yours. He too suggested seeking out a vintage Redfield Base and altering it to suit my desire for an unencumbered loading area.
I will put the Redfield product on my watchlist. I also heard from a Browning Collector friend that a Browning marked base identical to yours was made by Redfield and sold by Browning with a similar product number.
Best Regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clicked on your link and bought a couple......
Room to experiment...... thanks for the information.
I Apricate the HELP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mel5141

Glad to help.

Do you happen to know if your rifle has a true small ring-sized barrel shank, or does it have a large ring barrel shank with the ring ground to small ring contour, externally?

I have been told both, that it is a true small ring action, and also that it is a large ring ground to small ring contour.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much Convinced , that it is a True small ring Action....Tell tale sign is almost universal.....
On the left side of the rifle.... if there is no lip, bulge at the rear of the ring where the barrel shank enters the action it is a true Small Ring.

small rings are the same diameter at the ring barrel juncture.
Mine is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mel5141

I agree that it is small ring-sized externally, my .308 is, as well.

But so are the military Kar 98s, and they also have a large ring-sized barrel thread, leaving a pretty thin front ring wall.

I thought that perhaps George might have mentioned if it is a true small ring action or not, he would probably know.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Old Weaver base chart says:

#64 front, #55 rear.

#64 is no longer made

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich:
Thanks, that was the first thing I looked for, would be happy with the Weavers for this gun, but I found that the 64 is long discontinued.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as an aside, I already have several Weaver # 55's but I just did a quick Ebay search and got lucky on New old stock #64 in the old tan envelope packaging.
Should be of to the races now.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle it is a Large ring thread in a Small ring action....
I am going to shoot it 'til it gives up the ghost, which I doubt is in the cards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mel5141:
My rifle it is a Large ring thread in a Small ring action....
I am going to shoot it 'til it gives up the ghost, which I doubt is in the cards.

mel5141

I agree. I am not sure what steel and heat treat FN was using for their receivers in the 1960s, but Browning must have thought it strong enough for the .243 & .308.

And I am curious how you were able to determine that the barrel thread is large ring diameter, without removing the barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George and or JJ had removed a barrel or barrels for a re-barreling project in the past. Thus knew the thread size.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you didn't find anything that works I have a set of 2 piece buehler bases and rings I took off one of mine. Both mine now wear conetrol.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer to help, but I'm good now. Sighted in, and it is in the front seat of one of the ranch trucks. Blooded with two hogs and a coyote....