THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Who makes bolt handles closest to typical Commercial Oberndorf in shape.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes bolt handles closest to typical Commercial Oberndorf in shape.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to buy a few Oberndorf shaped bolt handles. Any opinions on who's handles are closest to the typical pre-war commercial Oberndorf in shape and size of the knob? Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday

Lots of people try and make these but there is a subtlety about them that is pretty hard to replicate.

I have just had one done by a 'smith down here in NZ and its the best of the three that local guys have done, and as good as one I paid a fair bit for from the US.

The best ones I've seen photos of from your side is those done by FalGrunt who posts here but I've not seen one of his up close and personal.

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally like Duane Wiebes stuff.

Here a bolthandle on my .300H&H

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've just been looking at some pictures too, including the bolt handle I spoke of above (I have asked the 'Smith if its OK to post up his photo, no reply yet) and I think the problems in duplicating them start when the length is messed with, if you vary it just a tiny bit the whole "effect" is lost. I don't mean you can't vary the length, its just that then some other proportion changes too.

I agree that Duane's ones (and Joel Dorleac's too for that matter) are very good

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wiebe's are on the top of my list so far, but I'm still looking.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
jens,

how did you get that stock so slim?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Baier

406 892 4409

Posts: 322 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen to Nick Hughes. He did mine for my 416 Rigby.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just freehand/eyeball them out on my lathe.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote