New
Find
Notify
Tools

new pad on HS Precision stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I put a HS Precision stock on my 300 RUM and am unhappy with the HARD rubber recoil pad that came on it. How does a guy go about getting that thing off of it so I can do a grind to fit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I use a carbide tipped cut off saw. I hollow out the foam core, fit and epoxy in a hardwood block so that I can fit and attach the replacement pad using screws.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hoping there was some way to get it off without cutting. There has to be some kind of epoxy remover that wont damage the stock. I'm not big on the idea of cutting on the stock but if I dont have any other options than I guess I'll have to.

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from ND:
There has to be some kind of epoxy remover that wont damage the stock.

I'm not a Chemist, but I'm thinking that anything that will break down and remove epoxy is going to be a little hard on the stock. You might try using a safety razor to free the pad and then square the stock with a disc sander. The chop saw is much faster and cleaner.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote