Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sound surpressor for .22
 Login/Join

posted
I have got a .22 LR Brno model one and i have it for the use of shooting pests eg monkeys, baboons, spring hares and other small game and i was wondering if it would be possible if i am able to make a sound surpressor for it so i do not make to much noise so the baboons dont know where it is coming from and if anyone has ever tried to shoot a baboon you will know how extremely clever they are. I know it is a touchy subject but if you have any ideas or know how to do it please PM me

Posts: 9 | Location: zim | Registered: 30 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy

get one from down south, plenty around and most gun shops got them!

alternative piece of pipe 20cm long and a stack of cylinder head welch-plugs Wink to fit inside center hole drilled and 1/2" thread is the standard for commercial silencers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'd just order a Parker-Hale sound moderator from jolly olde blighty. Have owned quite a few and they work wonderfully for .22 LR. To clean, just unscrew the cap, dump the washers into a tub of dishwashing liquid, shake about, rinse, drain and air dry, drop back into the tube and screw the cap back on. No wipes, so they don't wear out either. Must be 10 zillon of them laying around in used condition in Britain, so they are slightly less than dirt cheap there.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
CCI CB shorts are better then any sound suppressor out there.
Quitter then an air rifle and packs enough punch to take out small game at close range.
Perfect for pest control

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Buy a Sak rather than a P-H.
Note that suppressors for anything more than air rifles are regulated in the UK.
Note also that Sak moderators for air rifles are unregulated & appear identical to their proof marked brethren for rimfires.....

....& work even better if wrapped in a layer of 5mm neoprene. Wink

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Quitter then an air rifle and packs enough punch to take out small game at close range.
Perfect for pest control

CB's on baboons, especialy big males, might be abit sporty.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Just aim between the eye's Big Grin Big Grin

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
Note that suppressors for anything more than air rifles are regulated in the UK.
Note also that Sak moderators for air rifles are unregulated & appear identical to their proof marked brethren for rimfires.....

So are you saying the P-Hs aren't available for export these days? I have bought several, and the shop through which I dealt in London had no trouble at all exporting them to me.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
We have a supressor board on this forum. There is a guy that hangs out on that board named ranb40 who has built a few and posted pics of his work. He could probably help you.

Unless you're just looking for a project you may come out cheaper just buying one. Around here a .22lr suppressor goes for around $250.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the advice the CB'S on a baboon that would be a laugh but a bit of a long shot thosed critters are a pain in the ass to shoot as soon as you shoot one the next time you see them if you even hold up your arms like you are holding a rifle they cut road you you have to hide away where they cant see you and also at a distance but still great fun. I think i will have to get one from south africa or i can try speak to my friendly gunsmith here.

Posts: 9 | Location: zim | Registered: 30 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get real desperate, make a Cap that fits the thread of the barrel on one end, a coke bottle on the other end and use a small, 500ml or 600ml coke bottle (of course cut the bottom out).

It will cut out most of the noise to other animals apart from the one you are shooting at - which should be dead anyway so it doesn't matter.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:

So are you saying the P-Hs aren't available for export these days? I have bought several, and the shop through which I dealt in London had no trouble at all exporting them to me.

No; just that their purchase may involve some bureaucratic hurdles.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Around here a .22lr suppressor goes for around $250.

Terry

Ouch!!!!!

Here they're around $50.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Terry

Ouch!!!!!
Here they're around $50.

Yes, but how good are they ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
quote:
Terry

Ouch!!!!!
Here they're around $50.

Yes, but how good are they ?

Very.

Both Sak & P-H can be had for that price & once given a neoprene jacket they reduce noise to the point where one merely hears the hammer drop & then the bullet hitting the target/quarry.
High quality centrefire suppressors such as the DM80 & T8 cost somewhat more though - around $400.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you put a jacket around the Parker-Hale Moderators? There are no holes in them other than the one the barrel screws into and the other one which the bullet comes out of....

The muffling is caused by the propellant gases inside the moderator performing work to flex the spring steel Belleville washers from their slightly V-ed shape when at rest to a temporary flat shape.

Making the gas perform work takes the energy from it sufficiently to make them effective enough that I can hear the strikers fall on my Remington bolt action rifles they have been mounted on.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Heck we get a good Manders brand that retails for NZ$45 or about US$36, I have one on my Kimber 22 and it made a real difference with sub sonics on rabbits but usually they are out to about 200yds where I hunt and I use my 20VarTarg with a NZ$250 centerfire suppressor. This has allowed me to get 50 or more rabbits from the one hillside.

There is a thriving sub industry in NZ making supressors with plain to fancy rimfire and ppc suppressors going from NZ45 to $150, and centerfire in the $250 - $350 range. No legal issues with them and in fact they are recomended because of the hearing protective effect they have. Allow more of the game animals - pests to be taken - eradicated.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2688 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:The muffling is caused by the propellant gases inside the moderator performing work to flex the spring steel Belleville washers from their slightly V-ed shape when at rest to a temporary flat shape.

-how thick are they? The only ones I have seen are about like a standard SAE 3/8 washer that are dished; hell, I never knew what they were called until I read your postSmiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:The muffling is caused by the propellant gases inside the moderator performing work to flex the spring steel Belleville washers from their slightly V-ed shape when at rest to a temporary flat shape.

-how thick are they? The only ones I have seen are about like a standard SAE 3/8 washer that are dished; hell, I never knew what they were called until I read your postSmiler

They are about the same thickness of a standard 3/8" washer, perhaps a red hair thinner, but of course are not plated with anything. Their external washer diameter is more like 5/8" or 11/16", though I never bothered to measure any exactly. They may be slightly larger than that. The P-H cans are at least 6" long IIRC, but I don't recall exactly what the overall length or the total number of washers is.

Each washer also has a spacer between it and the next washer. I'd guess that is done to ensure the gases do get in between the washers and make them flex.

I've seen and tested a fair number of American .22 cal "cans" where I worked for a while selling Class III equipment, and none of the "gauze and wipe" types were anywhere near as effective as the P-Hs.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The main job of the washers is to create many smaller expansion chambers and the springs allow them to flex and release some of the energy of the gas. There are those here in NZ who make supressors from a solid alloy bar machined to have compartments and with a light carbon fiber outer.
Have a look at some of the offerings from this chap who has a thriving business here.
http://sub-silentsuppressors.com/

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2688 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you put a jacket around the Parker-Hale Moderators? There are no holes in them other than the one the barrel screws into and the other one which the bullet comes out of....

The muffling is caused by the propellant gases inside the moderator performing work to flex the spring steel Belleville washers from their slightly V-ed shape when at rest to a temporary flat shape.

Making the gas perform work takes the energy from it sufficiently to make them effective enough that I can hear the strikers fall on my Remington bolt action rifles they have been mounted on.

Because I could hear the can "ring" when shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Because I could hear the can "ring" when shooting.

Interesting- - - I've never heard any of mine "ring"...maybe you had a damaged (or improperly made) washer in there and and the bullet was nicking it as it went through? The gas surely wouldn't make it ring, would it? I'd think the gas pressure would tend to reduce any ringing sound much like puttng pressure from your finger on the side of a bell when you tap it will silence ringing.

Anyway, not saying I don't believe you, just that I am surprised. I have owned numerous of the Parker-Hales and with their very stiff, heavy, steel cans, packed solid with washers and spacers and the end cap screwed on tight, I've never heard one ring.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Terry

Ouch!!!!!
Here they're around $50.

They probably cost more over here because of all the legal issues and hoops you have jump through to get one. The first .22lr can I owned was a K baffle design. I gave $200 for it.
After it died I went with a monolithic baffle can that was a lot better built and it cost $250. The owner rebuilt my can with the new internals so it was a LOT cheaper for me. I don't think you can get one any cheaper these days. Centerfire cans go for around $400-$600 for your average screw on .223-.308 stuff.

It doesn't surprise me that you can get one for $50 where there aren't the same restrictions. When you look a .22lr can there really isn't a whole lot to it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember to only use subsonic ammo.
If you use supersonic ammo, know that the bullet's sonic crack follows the projectile. In such a case, the suppressor's value would be diminished significantly.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind paying $250 for a decent .22 model, but the transfer tax doubles the price. Also, the Class III dealer near my home tells me they have never had a class III license approved by the lady sheriff in our unigov county. Unlike CDW permits, the CLEO can choose not to approve a Class III permit for any reason, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
get a cannon and fill it with 00 buckshot. put some food out and wait for the whole lot of them to get in the firing lane and take care of them all at once.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
I wouldn't mind paying $250 for a decent .22 model, but the transfer tax doubles the price. Also, the Class III dealer near my home tells me they have never had a class III license approved by the lady sheriff in our unigov county. Unlike CDW permits, the CLEO can choose not to approve a Class III permit for any reason, and there is nothing you can do about it.

There is something you can do. Go online and look up 'NFA Trust". A person can set up a trust to purchase NFA items and appoint themselves Trustee. It skips the entire LEO/fingerprint/photographing BS. Your Class III dealer simply sends in copy of the duly notarized trust document instead of all the other crap. The $200 transfer tax is still applicable but your Sheriff is SOL.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As stated above, I've bought three silencers on a trust. I set up the trust by using Willmaker pro (bought off ebay for $10). No issues in getting approvals and bypasses the LEO signature and fingerprinting. You can't fingerprint a trust. It's an entity. You'll need to check your state laws on trusts. In Georgia, the trust only has to be registered with the state if it has included real property (land).

Just a FWIW, NFA transfers in the US (including short barreled rifles and shotguns, full auto and suppressors has increased from around 120,000 transfers in 2005 to over 900,000 in 2008, and sustained over 700,000 transfers in both 2009 and 2010. (source: ATF NFA statistics)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Perfect for pest control

How is a 29 gr. bullet at 710 fps better than a 40 gr. bullet at 1050 fps? Have you ever actually fired a 22LR with a quality suppressor? There's no possible way a CB is better than a suppressed LR considering the game the OP was asking about. That'd be a helluva Youtube contribution, watching somebody shoot a Baboon with a CB. I'm thinking that would really piss him off.....

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make my own silencers to avoid the high prices charged here in the USA. I never had a problem obtaining the sheriff's signature on the ATF form 1, but I created a trust to own them anyway as it is cheaper and less of a hassle. The US code also treats individual ownership as the exception, not the rule.

I have read numerous opinions on the use of suppressed firearms on game animals. Everything from suppressed supersonic bullets confusing the game animal as to the source of the noise to animals learning quickly that bullet impact noises are related to death causing them to run. Hunters will have to try suppressed shooting themselves to see how it affects performance.

I know that if I need high velocity ammo, I will not sacrifice power for low noise. There is no substitute for high velocity past 200 yards where subsonic shooting becomes more difficult due to the rainbow like trajectory of the slow moving projectile..

I have tried CB ammo. When I shot it in pistols, it was loud enough to hurt my ears when not using ear plugs. In a rifle it was nearly as quiet as 40 grain 1000 fps subsonic in a suppressed firearm and much less noisy than a suppressed 22lr using high velocity ammo. But in the end the CB’s are a 27 grain bullet moving about 700 fps. This is only 29 ft-lbs vs 88 ft-lbs of the 22 lr subsonic. A 22 caliber air rifle using 18 grain pellets at 900 fps will do as well as the CB. I would use an air rifle before using CB's. But that is my personal preference.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote