Find
Notify
Tools

Front Sight Height Help?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
We put an old Dakota .375 barrel with a quarter rib w/ standing blade and one folding leaf on a Sako action. The gun shoots great but the barrel came without a front sight blade (it has the ramp).

I found a .375" height blade kicking around but it shoots about 8" high at 40 yards with that blade.

I was hoping to order a blade ASAP (we leave for Zim. in under two weeks!). Without getting out my old college trig book or buying every blade Brownell's offers.... can someone give me an educated guess what height to use???

Would you go all the way to the .500" blade?

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just a simple similar triangles exercise, but you need the sight radius as a start. So with the range being 1440 inches and the desired change being 8 inches, the change in height of the blade is (8/1440)X(sight radius). If the sight radius is 16 inches, the change is .089 inches, so get the .5 inch blade and start filing.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
here ya go... should take 30 seconds

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/sight.aspx

jeffe

Posts: 39574 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize Brownell's had a calculator.

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what the calculator does for you. It puts the front and rear sights the same distance above the center of the bore, so the bore is parallel to the line of sight. You will always shoot low with such an arrangement, since the bullet begins to drop as soon as it clears the muzzle.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have the time, use about a 5/8" long 10/32 flat head brass screw for a temporary front site. Install screw head in dovetail of ramp, then shoot and file down screw till your point of aim is where you want it. You may have to peen the screw head slighty for a snug fit in the dovetail, or use some electrical tape to hold it temporarily. A hacksaw may be in order to cut off most of screw also.

Measure screw hieght when your sighted in, and order the closest hieght bead from Brownells. Brownells also carries the temporary plastic front sight inserts which work great for this job, or with a collimator, to determine sight hieght. Safe Shooting Friends! - gunsmither

Posts: 58 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote