New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunworks now and then...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just been reading "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" which is ofcouse about the Mauser 98K.

It is my impression that reading more and more about the Mauserfabrik and their qualitycontrol system(in their old days), that even their military line of small arms were basicly
"handfitted guns".....Some would today call it custom-made because of all the manuel labor each gun went thru, but ofcouse they were not induvidually fitted like which is the norm for a customgun.
I wonder how much a a standard rifle would cost today, if the same operations/precision/skill should be copied with today wages??.
No question that the Oberndorf ingineers knew what that were dealing with...every thing from woodselection to the hardeningprocess.
I am just becomming more and more amassed about the Mauser rifles and the inginuaty that went behind, and especially when looking at "modern" gunplants with all their
CNC machining, lasecalibration, microchip-technology and so on and so on......they seem pretty "lost" in their craftmanship.
This post is only my opinion...but it could be nice with some comments....

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote