New
Find
Notify
Tools

new model 70 WSM feeding problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A client came into the shop yesterday with a new, classinc M70 in 270WSM that would not feed the first or last round worth a $hit. I have built three of these on classic actions in 300WSM within the last 6 months and have had no problem with feeding. My fix on this was the extractor. It need some work on the hook; I had to hone the bevel to reduce the tension on the round when it was on the bolt face. There was just too much interference when the rim tried to snap under the extractor. Feeds great now, but don't know why it was a problem with only the first and last round; no matter, it works now.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Jim,

The magazine holds three rounds and since the problem is occuring with the first and third round, then perhaps the problem is related to the side of the receiver from which they feed. Maybe they are feeding at a more inclined angle than the other side.

Regards,

Malm

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I just went through this problem with Kent Bowerly on a 270 WSM. The follower is .150" too long in the rear and about .070" too long in the front. Magazine spring is about .013" thick, probably needing about .020-.025. After modifying the follower, the first and second round fed beautifuly, while the third worked, there wasn't enough spring tension to reliably push the last round up under the extractor properly. We are currently in the process of making new followers for USRAC to fix this, but if they don't fix the springs, it won't completly cure the problem.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I stated in the original, it feeds OK now. The problem was with the extractor needing some work. The first round in was #4 and the last was clear of the follower when it hung up. I do agree that the follower spring is definitely not strong enough. By the way, I have great respect for Mr. Bowerley. He is a great guy and wonderful, talented, stockmaker on top of being a mentor. He has been very helpful with his solutions to some of the problems one has.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had sort of the same problem with my first 300WSM. The shell would slid in then jamb. Long story short, the extractor grabbed too tight. I learned this by comparing extractors on a Model 70 that has worked for years. I simply bent the claw just a bit. I used a screw driver. It didn't take much. In fact, couldn't tell the difference before the bend or after; it was not a radical operation. It functioned fine. I now have between a 100 and 150 round through it and the function is flawless. Accuracy was easy to achieve and makes my heart flutter. I am selling my 300 Winchester Super Grade and I am trading my Model 70 270 standard for a 270 WSM this next week. Santa is coming early! I am that impressed with these new rounds.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote