New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto-5 mod question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an older auto-5 with the safety in the front of the trigger guard. To load, the bolt release button must be pushed for each shell. Is there any reason why I can't file a bevel on the carrier so it can bypass the bolt catch, which would allow shells to be loaded without pushing the button?

thanks

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It's normal. Why not push the bolt release in and hold it while you load the magazine. Pretty simple and you won't have to modify the gun.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
upon further investigation, this is normal on pre 53' guns, and the solution is to have a later two piece carrier fitted, which allows loading without pushing the button and also self loads the first round and closes the bolt automatically. Why? I am shooting in a 3-gun match that allows auto shotguns in heavy metal division (usually pump only in HM), the A-5 is the only auto I own, and I am slow enough loading a shotgun without fumbling with trying to hold the bolt release half way down while reloading on the move.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or you could get a two-piece lifter like the later guns have. I believe it would go in without any alterations. Bill

Posts: 98 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 08 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, like KS said, a lot of people change them out for a two piece lifter. Val Browning invented the two piece lifter for the double auto and adapted it to the A5.
I like mine the way it is, to old and fat to get in a hurry these days.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am shooting in a 3-gun match that allows auto shotguns in heavy metal division

I am trying to picture in my minds eye an Auto 5 in a speed contest against a Benelli. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am trying to picture in my minds eye an Auto 5 in a speed contest against a Benelli.

rotflmo So to be fair the Benelli can shoot 5 the Auto 5 2 maybe 3 on a good day.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]I am trying to picture in my minds eye an Auto 5 in a speed contest against a Benelli. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

"Auto-5’s are faster than and at LEAST as reliable as the Benelli – particularly at top speed" -Pat Kelley

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I love the Auto 5 but there is no way in hell it's faster then most semi autos now days let alone a Benelli

Full barrel recoil is one hell of a mass to try to move. Most semi autos are gas operated now

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard I:
"Auto-5’s are faster than and at LEAST as reliable as the Benelli – particularly at top speed" -Pat Kelley

I think if you drop them both from an airplane, the Auto 5 would beat the Benelli in a race to the ground. Big Grin

Reliable? Did Pat Kelley ever ride the recoil of a long recoil gun such as the Auto-5? Not so reliable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many present day Benelli's will be knocking down birds in the year 2111.
Every one wants a vented rib on their A5. Change out to a plain barrel and the A5 is a different gun.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brad may:
I wonder how many present day Benelli's will be knocking down birds in the year 2111.

Thats a true statement. There's a short list of firearms that fall into that 100 year life span.
The A5 has something going for it that the Benelli doesn't, One it was the first commercially successful semi auto shotgun. That lead to it being a favorite with duck hunters which allowed it to gain a following and now that following is near cult status. It's a great gun with a long history
By the way I'm looking for one too.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am shooting in a 3-gun match that allows auto shotguns in heavy metal division (usually pump only in HM),

This is the first halfway-intelligent competition I've heard about. A pump shotgun in a gunfight is sometimes a ticket to the hospital or morgue, please see the 1985 FBI Miami Massacre for details.

Try working a pump with one arm, see how far you get. Agent Mireles was lucky, very lucky. End of rant, back to topic.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem for shooters of the Auto 5 in a combat situation, or, simulated combat situation is failing to maintaining a firm grip and inadvertently having the "long recoil operated" Auto 5 short stroke and jam.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The Browning A-5 is the only semi-auto shotgun I ever lusted for, especially those with solid ribs.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I don't see anyone saying the Auto 5 wasn't a great shotgun. It set the standards others tried to copy. It is still a great shooting shotgun. Only thing anyone is saying is due to the way it functions it can't cycle as fast as a Benelli.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure many benellis well be shooting in 2111. Just as many more stainless syt stock rifles and stainless polymer hand guns will be around. The materils they are made of well last in better shape then one made of carbon stell and wood.

Just because it is old dosen't make it better.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a Benelli. It's a short recoil gun. John Browning invented that also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the article that I was referencing, to be fair to Benelli, it was written before the M2s which are currently popular in 3-gun. The point being that the Auto-5 will perform at a higher level than most 3-gun competitors are capable of taking advantage of.

http://www.multigun.com/articles/speedshotgun.pdf

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hard to argue with print. Again I've never tried to cycle a shotgun at .11 of a sec. I can only go by the fact that my Auto 5 seemed to move in slow motion compared to my Benelli.

Did I read Jerry is now using a Mossberg 930?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Richard I:

Answering the original topic question:

I replaced the single piece lifter in my 1951 production Browning Auto 5 12 gauge with the two piece model. Its as easy as pie. If you want some help, just PM me, and I'll walk you through it.

If you don't have the exact size screwdriver bits for the Auto 5 screws, I suggest that you get them from Brownells or another supplier.

I find that brake cleaner works great on the screws. Just hit them a few minutes before you untorque the screws. You will be amazed at how stuck those screws can be after 50-60 years.

You can get the two piece updated lifter on Gunbroker.

Oh, yeah, its way better!

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Off topic here

Although I dont own a Browning a-5 I do have a mint Remington sportsman, These old guns are just pure class.Workmanship at its finest in my book.

Cal03

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
quote:
I am shooting in a 3-gun match that allows auto shotguns in heavy metal division (usually pump only in HM),

This is the first halfway-intelligent competition I've heard about. A pump shotgun in a gunfight is sometimes a ticket to the hospital or morgue, please see the 1985 FBI Miami Massacre for details.
Linda Hamilton seemed to do ok cycling her 870 one handed in Terminator 2 flame
Try working a pump with one arm, see how far you get. Agent Mireles was lucky, very lucky. End of rant, back to topic.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote