Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge Fountain
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
No this isn't about full autos. It is about m98 rails.

What is the problem if you put a round in the magazine and it clicks home (right side) with that solid sound only found in an m98, then when you add another(left side), it isn't so solid, and when you put the last one in (right side) you need to do it gently. If you do not the all come SQUIRT! right up out of the box.

Is this a feedrail width situation on the inner curved portions of the rails? I am thinking this to be correct since I have put them in and taken them out about 50 times, each time watching how they fit. I am thinking if the rail on either side were ground back, towards the outside, it would allow the body of the case to remain farther under the lip, and not pop out.

Is this correct?

Also, I do not have any of my military rifles here with me. Could someone pull back the bolt and see just how far the follower follows up into the rails?

Thanks.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe I could get no response. Try again.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Roger---

I could write most of a book about M-98 feeding and correcting the same and still not get the problem you're having. Without SEEING and FEELING and examining what's happening and when there's NO way of telling you what to do to fix it.

What you're asking is like saying, my rifle is inaccurate.......why?

I've said before.....invest in a military M-98 of good make (no Spanish junk) and buy a handfull of military ammo to fit it, make feeding dummies out of the ammo and STUDY how they work.......always keep that rifle in the corner as reference. Mine is a VZ-24 that's been standing in the corner for about 25 years. I studied it more yesterday. They are a marvel.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Mr. Belk,

I think I see what the difficulty is. The cartridges are just a bit too fat (big around). The first case in points up into the center of the chamber (the follower needs to be shaved off on the face that supports the side of the case) like it should.

The case on the left (2nd one in) is just a bit too far out, into the centerline of the mag box. The nose of the bullet is pointing at the outside edge of the extractor recess in the barrel. This is the angle that needs to be changed, to bring the imaginary line back towards the center of the chamber.

This and the face of the follower is all that needs to be touched up. I thought about this and I could do it with a Dremel, lots of sandpaper and little files. I think it would take me about two weeks (making passes with a dremel sanding drum, filework and sanding it back to being super smooth then test) [Smile] .

Like you suggested, I used a pencil to push on the base of the cartridge to watch all the different things that are happening and where.

I am going to think about it some more and see if there is anyone in Fairbanks who can do it. If not...

I wish I had a milling machine.