New
Find
Notify
Tools

model 600 rem rib removal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have the front and rear sights off and the plastic rib piece off. what i'm left with are those six little "pillars" sticking up out of the top of the barrel. can i just cut these off and shape the area to match the barrel contour? or is it better to just put it all back together and live with it? please advise...

thanks...bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
A model 700 barrel will fit so the best way to proceed is to sell the 600 barrel and rib on ebay and install either a takeoff barrel or a new aftermarket barrel in the caliber of your choice.

Weagle.

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless your keeping the gun forever you might considering putting rib back on as if you go to resell it will be worth more in original condition. The prices have really gone up at the gunshows. Brownells used to sell replacement ribs either aluminum or steel.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice but this is a "cheap as possible" project. i'll never get rid of this rifle so resale value is not an issue. i'm just reshaping the stock a little and refinishing it. since i started this thread i've used a dremmel tool to cut off the little rib studs and a real fine file to make those areas match the barrel contour. a little polishing and some cold blue and it'll be done. later i may rebarrel it to something else(6x45???) and have it properly blued. for now i'm just having some fun. again...thanks

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote