New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leverguns, Oh no, not again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If a guy was going to have a bigbore lever gun made, like the .476 or 450 Alaskan, and money was not a problem. What would be the rifle to start with the Marlin or the Browning/Win. Mod 86?

I know about WWG but don't know about rifle strength between designs.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my 50 Alaskan was done on a Browning 71. I have a new model 86 Winchester and have heard of someone doing a 45-120 and 50-110 in them.

The Marlin may be "trimmer", but the 71 and 86's I think have it beat in all out strength

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Mickey---

Strenght is not an issue. Mounting a scope is. That's the only reason I can think of to buy the Marlin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack

Hadn't thought about the scope option, good point. Are you saying that if a scope is not a consideration the actons are about equal? What about in making a takedown? Thanks in advnce.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
There is no comparison between them. The Win/Browning is far and away the better gun/design. Don't take my word, handle them both for yourself. The action on the Win closes like a vault door compared to the Marlin, which closes like an old screen door. For me scope mounting is a non-issue, particularly in the calibers in question. With the Win/Browning, over all length of cartridge is also a non-issue, not so the Marlin. If money is not the issue, why get the Marlin? If you can afford the Mercedes, don't buy the chevy. Just handle them both, you can feel the rather obvious difference in quality for yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Bloke named Kev on this forum is having a 50-110 built by Dave Clay on a lever Win 86 I think. I think it is neally finished. He said he will get 2200 fps thereabouts with a 500 gr bullet.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personal opinion here,
The Browning 71 is the best platform, clean, strong and smooth. New Win 1886's & Marlins have that stupid safety.
As far as scopes go, you are probably going to install a new barrel, so have it set up for a scout scope type mount.
I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet so I'll send you one of my 71 in .450AK.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
A scope is possible on an '86. But the thought makes me feel ill. It's awkward at best. Side mount, or pistol scope on the barrel are two methods. Most guys either use issue sights, or a peep sight.
As to the Marlin, if thats your thing, Ok, but I'll keep my original Winchester '86.

[ 08-26-2002, 02:22: Message edited by: John Y Cannuck ]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote