Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket Riflestock Reviews
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I've read some different comments on here from folks about the various aftermarket riflestocks available and wanted to recount my experiences thus far:

Boyds Riflestocks - This is the first aftermarket brand I used. I bought a prefinished pepper-gray laminate for a Howa 1500 Short Action. It came with a slim rubber recoil pad that I replaced. It had a nice satin finish. The Barreled action dropped in nicely except that there was extra material under the barrel at the forend of the stock that needed removing. It was not checkered, which really doesn't bother me. I like non-checkered stocks. I eventually epoxy bedded the complete action and trigger guard.

Accurate Innovations - This was my next stock I bought and I actually bought it for my Howa becaue it was on sale for $234, so I figured why not. I got the hand rubbed oil walnut stock. It came with a nice thick recoil pad and an aluminum bedding block. It had machined (maybe lasered?) checkering, but still looked nice. The only gripe was that I had to remove a good amount of wood and aluminum from the bedding block to get the bolt handle to close all the way. I still use this stock today. Folks comment on it all the time.

Remington Factory Synthetic Stock - Bought a black one for my father-in-law's 700 BDL 7 mm Mag about 5 years ago. Fit nicely, but the barrel touched along the front of the stock. It had a hollow butt stock that I filled with some beads to increase the weight and reduce the recoil. The Remington standard pad was replaced with a prefit LimbSaver. Nice stock if you like synthetics.

Great American Gunstock Company - I recently picked up two stocks in their fire sale for $50 each. One for a Mauser 98 the other for an Enfield 1917. These are rough finished stocks that need heavy sanding and additional finish inletting, plus finishing of the forend and butt ends. However, nice stocks. I like to do more work versus less and it gives the ability to customize the look of the stock. Make sure you have lots of sand paper, flexible sanding blocks, and wood files/raps of various sizes. They also will finish and hand fit the stocks, as well as checker for you, for a reasonable rate. Much less than most gunsmiths. I'd definitely buy from them again.

Richard's Microfit stocks - I've heard some negative comments about these stocks on AR and was a bit concerned since I ordered a stock from them before I read these comments. Perhaps the comments pertained to finished stocks. I used them because I wanted my own version of Serengeti Stockworks laminated stock. My father-in-law picked out a nice piece of walnut, resawed it into three pieces, and glued back together with a 1/2" piece running down the center - the piece that was flipped front to back. They machined it to a rough finish equivalent to the Great American Gun Stock Company, but will very smooth inletting. They also let me select the style, forearm contour, and wood for the forend tip and grip cap. I have lots of finishing to do, but am very happy with the result. It is the new stock for the 7 mag I mentioned above.

Silver Hill Enterprises (Ebay) - I restored a Remington 600 two years ago that a friend gave me for my son. It turned out nice except for the ugly wood Remington used from the factory. I ordered a replacement stock from E-Gunparts, but it was a bit to long, so I returned it. I eventually found the company above offering a stock for the 600 on Ebay for $67 plus S&H - Damn! Nice walnut, very, very smooth, nice inletting, etc. I just need to finish some details, put a pad on it, and bed it. Great Deal!!!!!

Going forward, until I can go a gunstock from 100% scratch, I'm going to use the Great American Stock Company and Richard's Micro-fit stocks in the rough Smiler

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I would like feedback on the Manner stocks and MPI if anyone knows about them.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
to bad that boyds' has decided to sell thru their dealers' network.... that doubled the price and they cut their line by about 75%.... good product, ive got a pepper laminate on an enfield i had built last year... i bought 2 more of their stocks from a company in phoenix...i talked to henry at great american gunstocks, he'll definitely get some of my work in the future....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

I've used Doc at MPI stocks exclusivly and have been very happy with his products. He is very intune to your needs and will custom build just about anything you want.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Thank you Carlos.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Borden Rim Rock stock 28 oz
High Tech Specialties 20.6 ounces
Bell and Carlson Medalist 32 ounces

Different wood stock 36 oz to 57 oz.

It seems that wood stocks can be cut down to look more like a pistol grip and have engraving deep into the right side of the butt. This can get the weight down to 35 oz.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Robert405
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

Do a search on Snipers Hide and you will get alot of favorable information about Tom Manners and his stocks.

Posts: 150 | Location: GA. | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've used Doc at MPI stocks exclusivly and have been very happy with his products. He is very intune to your needs and will custom build just about anything you want.

+1

I've got two MPI stocks in the safe right now...one on a .30 Newton, and the other on a Schneider 20" barreled .243 M600 Rem. Both look, shoot, and carry very well indeed. Both are matte green/black camo. MPI'll stock darned near anything for you...how many companies do you know of who welcome composite stocking an original Newton these days? MPI does, and does it excellently!

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
I too have had a great experience with Doc of MPI. I needed a Browning A-Bolt fiberglass/Kevlar stock refinished that had several scratches and scrapes. Doc reprimed and finished that stock in a spiderweb paint job of my choice for the cost of the paint job alone and it came out excellent!

I also own two 20ga custom slug guns, both Tar-Hunts with custom stocks that I am very happy with. One is in a McMillan and the other is stocked in a Banser Hi-tech.

Just goes to show that with a little work most of these stocks can fit more types of actions than one might think possible.

JC

20ga Tar-Hunt Millenium Mountaineer stocked in a Bansner hi-tech by Randy Fritz.

20ga Tar Hunt Mountaineer in standard McMillan stock.

MPI refinished Browning A-bolt shotgun...