New
Find
Notify
Tools

help!! trigger for Browning 78
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been shooting a B 78 quite a bit and the trigger is in bad repair. I have had 3 decent smiths work on it and none of them can get it right! Does anyone out there know of anyone really capable of tuning one of these?
How's about are there any after market triggers out there?

I really enjoy the old gun (nice wood-good feel-octagon tube and all)

Many thanks gang

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Mark:

Canjar used to make a trigger for the B78, and you still occasionally find one around, but expect to pay in the $225 range. A good 'smith to try is Lee Shaver. His web site is http://www.egunsmith.com/. Lee specializes in singleshot rifles, and is rumoured among the black powder cartridge crowd to be one of the best there is. Also, based on the one job he quoted me and the one job he did for my dad, he undercharges, given the level of expertice he has. As to the job he quoted for me, he was kind enough to provide detailed instructions on how to do the work, so that I could do it myself if I wanted (which I did).

Dave

Posts: 3837 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll check him out-I want to get this piece up any running right.

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Browning 78 trigger was a real example of engineering run amok. The adjustments did nothing to affect trigger pull that i could see but it was possible to make the trigger inoperative. The Canjar replacement can work very well but is difficult to install requireing some honing to get sear engagement right. The main problem arose from the fact that the through bolt for the buttstock attached to the trigger housing which was in turn mortised into the receiver. The trigger could be set up perfectly with th butt removed then would change when the screw was tightened. Very frustrating and probably the reason Canjar discontinued the trigger.
On my B78 I finally settled on the stock trigger which I was able to set at around 2 1/2 pounds but which was always a little spongey. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote