New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screws keep backing out
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On my S&W revolvers, the mainspring adjustment screws just keep backing out under pressure so I kept getting lighter and lighter trigger pulls. Is there any way to keep the adjustments solid yet non-permanent?

Thanks

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue Loctite should do the job.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Clean screw and threads w/alcohol first.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you dont have any blue loctite handy, after you clean the threads and screw get some of your wife's clear nail polish and try that...it works wonders.

Good luck and good shooting

Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
not blue loctite
use purple loctite it is service removeable
i've used it for just the problem you have and it works great while still allowing you to make adj. if you need to without heating or buggering up the screew

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
The blue loctite is also easily removable w/o heat or fear of stripping. The purple does not hold as well as fingernail polish in my experience. (And we use the purple at work so I see thousands of field-tested samples.)

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i've found that if i need more holding power than purple provides on a firearm then there is a mechanical problem that needs to be addressed and corrected

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote