Salvage that cut off bolt handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I've got a bushel basket full of bolt handles and there is no way I'm doing that. That is more work than just making a new one from bar stock.
Not that it isn't creative and certainly will produce a usable handle.
I will sell my cut off handles for $5 each.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be slow in Alaska this time of year. Can't you go down to the beach and pick up coal or something?

Nice job, but as DPCD says, a lot of work for not much return.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Betcha I can do that faster than both of you can from scratch without CNC cheating....

Five bucks! You should be GIVING them away (to me) for free!

Alas, I have fond memories of beach-coaling in my youth, but Homer entered the 21st century with natgas years ago.

You forget I'm NOT a gunsmith! Just an actual retired weldor geezer with lots of time on his hands that gets a kick out of transforming useless into useful!

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I cheat Big Grin

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CNC duty is (was) taking 3D geometry and turning that into drawings for plaz or router cut aluminum for my boat building biz; I haven't approached the turning/milling stuff (yet). So, is that mongo of a billet really necessary for the work shown? I mean, really?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
copperlake,

Nothing wrong with that. Have fun making something out of essentially nothing. A man needs a project.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copperlake:
So, is that mongo of a billet really necessary for the work shown? I mean, really?

Yes 1.5" DIA 4140

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those to lazy to make their own like me, you cannot beat a Talley bolt handle for $9.89. What else can you buy these days for <$10?

Roger

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just welded on one today, in fact.
Copper, if you want some cut off handles, PM me your address and I will fill a flat rate box with them for you.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Copperflake
My question is how in the heck did you hold the knob portion to counterbore and chamfer it?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Those Dakota Bolts are really nice.

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One junk Oviedo (1907) = $20

One junk German bolt = $5 (years ago!)

One bolt handle = FREE! (work discounted!)

Other parts = (no habla ingles!)

Mr. Kobe: I just put the knob in the three jaw and use just past the knob to indicate; Small center drill, drill and then chamfer with bench grinder. Now, it's much better for the knob shank to be shorter than what I showed to get the tig weld out of the bend zone. What I showed was 1/4" pin but smaller is better for more weld (I was in a hurry and it cost blending with tig, stretch marks).

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Not bad. I think if I had the ways and means I would have taken more material off of the ball to give it a teardrop shape.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alas, I have fond memories of beach-coaling in my youth, but Homer entered the 21st century with natgas years ago.

Yup, but only 15 or so years ago. tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote