Notify
Tools

glass bedding a savage
 Login/Join

posted
I have a savage 116fss in 7mag .
how hard is it to glass bed that flimsy stock
or would it be better to buy a after market one

Posts: 12 | Location: Kettle Falls WA | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
It's pretty easy to bed, as such, the round action is quite similar to the remington. You have to raise it a good bit so you have lots of clearance in the barrel channel, hopefully preventing interference.

Of course, you are better off with an aftermarket. I use the factory wood stocks for that reason (they work fine for my purposes, even if they ARE clubby and poor "wood"). Question is, how much better do you need? Sharp Shooter Supply, Lock Stock and Barrel, Bell and Carlson (Duramax) and Ramline make stocks (in descending order of quality). Of course, H&S and McMillan do, but that's a different league. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I think I will give it a try
maybe it will stiffin it up some.

Posts: 12 | Location: Kettle Falls WA | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
280, some guys have reported adequate stiffening by bedding a rod into the forearm. I've never done that, so can't help you with it. My approach has always been to bed the lug back to the front action screw, and in front of the rear action screw. Pay special attention to floating the tang. I don't use slings for shooting, so as long as the forearm doesn't interfere with the barrel, it works for me. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might also want to look at the new Bell and Carlson aftermarket's. I just picked one up for my 10FP. It's not in the McMillan league but it's really not bad. Don't know if they have them for standard barrel Savages. Only problem is the barrel is not quite free floating. I'm having my gunsmith take a look at it. He may have to sand some off the barrel channel. For the price though, the looks and stiffness beat the factory stock. I got mine from Lock, Stock, and Barrel Supply for $108 +shipping.

NoCAl

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote