THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Using Commercial Husvqarna Action for a Custom (Mauser Model 1896 "strengthened"

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using Commercial Husvqarna Action for a Custom (Mauser Model 1896 "strengthened"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Has anyone here used one of the Husqvarna "strengthened" versions of the Mauser Model 1896 [96] action for a custom rifle? These would be the Husqvarna Model 640 that do not have the thumbcut for the stripper clips. They were in a few models such as the 640 in 8x57mm

I am considering using one for a custom rifle to fit my very long build. Since I loved the military action so much on the Swede 96, and I have seen excellent custom jobs on that action I was considering the commercial version.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Husqvarna "strengthened" versions of the Mauser Model 1896 [96] action

I am a big fan of these actions, they are strong, there area few high pressure rounds I would avoid, but upp to a 270 class there fine, big mags and I pressure look at another better candidate.

But I like these a lot and have said so many times. They slick up nice and I wouldn't dump a ton on of money into one, but if you watch your P&Q's you don't have to.

All and these are nice handy small rifles if done right.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I want to build one in the fashion of an H&H stalking rifle, or kind of an express style. Most of them are in 8x57mm and I was not planning on using that caliber, but I have been intriged by it a little.

I am over 6'8" and need a rifle with a long 14 7/8 inch length of pull. I will keep the caliber to one of the originals. The rifle will hunt the local boars and black-tail deer here.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've never used one myself, but every time I see one of those 9.3X57's for sale I get very tempted.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Most of the 9.3s are the commercial version that still have the military cuts such as the model 46, this is a little later version that has a solid side receiver, bit I have heard these are all nice rifles of very good steel. Accuracy?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accuracy?

Good I had one in a 8x57 years ago, I traded it off cuase I didn't want a 8mm. I have also shot a friends 30-06 that was a good shooter ( still is ).

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have one in 8x57 that I picked up from Sarco this year for a whopping $225. It has the flag safety and an Orbendorf style bolt. The interesting part is the left receiver wall: it is much higher and beefier than any of the other 96 actions I have seen. It is buttery smooth to operate. Mine has not been drilled and tapped and I plan on leaving it that way. It is drilled and tapped from the factory for a receiver sight and I may put one on eventually. But even with the barrel mounted blade sight it shoots incredible.

You may want to consider keeping it in 8x57. I have 3 friends who also purchased them and mounted scopes and they have all been MOA rifles with handloads. And the 8x57 is no slouch for performance with handloads.

I also have one in 9.3x57 but have not shot it yet. The 9.3 does have the thumb cut and stripper slot though.

I think you should get one and make your self a sweet little sporter. The only downfall is finding a nice stock for the 96 action. GAG ofers some beautiful patterns that would be exactly the type of patern you mentioned. But i have heard mixed opinions on their stocks. I have used GAG twice. One stock was almost a perfect drop in fit and the other was almost useless due to the poor inleting. Funny thing is that they were both for Rem 700 actions in the same pattern. But you should check ut their patterns at:

http://www.gunstocks.com

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Your right Great American Gunstock has the perfect patterns. I wold have them mill my wood blank not thiers. Was the inletting too big, or what went on?

I appreciate everyones opinion of this rifle. I might just be sold.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
On the one good stock the inleting was absolutely perfect. It was almost a true drop in fit and required almost no work at all. Inside and out.

The other stock is a completely different story. The stock was a thumbhole silhouette for a short action Rem 700 with ADL triggerguard. I bought it off of his bargain listand it was listed as semi fancy Myrtle. I first called GAG and talked to them about the stock I was looking at. He said it was 95% inletted and was inleted for a varmint contour barrel. He also said the stock had excellent grain layout. When the stock arrived I was extremely upset. The inleting was less than 30% and the action screw holes were not even drilled. And the grain in the wood twisted and turned inevery direction and the fore-end was warped 1/4" to the right. I called them and explained the stock was unsatisfactory and why. They told me it was just fine according to their standards. And this in spite of their satisfaction guarentee. It took several phone calls to get them to exchange the stock, even though I requested a refund. The second stock did have excellent grain layout and it was inletted to about 70%. And the action screw holes were drilled but to 1/8" diameter. I sold it off at a loss.

But I havent heard of anyone having such bad results from them for a long time. And it appears they have their inleting down to a science. I have sen several stocks thatcame from them in the last 2 years and all were pretty nice quality, both in wood and inletting quality.

I am actually considering them for an upcoming project but I am still very gun shy of them.

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
M1Tanker--Please keep me informed. Their stock style for the British Express, or Stalker is just what I am looking for in a style to fit this little rifle. My big hands enjoy the long gentle pistol grip and the sleek lines go well with the long length of pull that I need. If I use them I had planned on sending the rifle so they could use it when making the new stock, along with my own blank of wood that I will select and then send them to machine.

Has anyone else used Great American Gunstocks for a project? What was you rating of thier service?

Also, if anyone else knows a good stock maker that had Holland & Holland, or just good old British Express style stocks I would appreciate it.

M1Tanker--I think the rifle you got from SARCO is just like the ones I am talking about. It sounds like you are very please with it? How does the action compare to a nice 98 as far as smoothness, and overall fit and feel? I originally bought a Swedish Military 1896 for this project, but when it arrived it was an amazing matched number rifle with fabulous fiddleback wood. I do not have the heart to tear apart this amazingly accurate rifle. That is why I am looking for one of these commercial guns. Does your have a visible model number? Some I guess didn't?

Dan

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Probably the best way to get a sure fit from GAG is to send your barreled action and pay them to do the final inletting (and have a conversation beforehand about tolerances).

They will glass bed your action into the pattern and the result is usually much better. I think they charge about $175. If that's too steep, I would still pay the shipping to send your barreled action to them to get the inletting as close as possible.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I think your right. I am not sure how I want the rifle bedded yet. I have pilar block, glass bed, and natural wood free floating nd they all work about the same in the hunting rifles I have. The difference is that I am only good to a certain MOA, even if the rifles are better.

Any suggestions on bedding, and has anyone had GAG do a custom machining off thier action and als have you had them inlet a gun for you?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Just in case I said that wrong, unless you ask they only glass bed the pattern stock to get accurate inletting on your wood. I'm sure they'll glass bed or pillar bed the final stock if you ask but (1) it isn't necessary if the wood is good and dense (2) it encourages sloppy inletting because the glass hides all the bullshit. I would rather spend an extra $100 for better inletting than treat a nice piece of wood like a synthetic or a sloppy factory stock.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I agree completly. I want accurate inletting of the wood, similar to the amazing jobs that were done on some of the early Mausers. Is there a better way to do this. Should i have GAG rough the patterns and the channels and then send the rifle off to a smith to inlet and finish?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Most stockers don't want to work with third party semi-inlets from GAG or Richards. They prefer to have a stock turner they know and trust (sometimes themselves) do the work so they might not have to live with mistakes they can't fix.

That is not to say there aren't people who can make a really nice stock from a good GAG or Richard's pattern; it's just that the margin for error is much greater for a pro. Us do-it-your-selfers don't have the same reputation to risk.

But to get the quality you're describing you are talking twice or thrice the money for a finished stock; more from a famous name.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
If I can find another 'trusted' person to machine the stock in this English pattern, I am game. GAG is just the only one I have found so far.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
SHULIN STOCK WORKS
Ed Shulin
16511 Co. Rd. 75.1
Trinidad, CO 81082

I see his name in a few places with stock machined similar to my needs. Do any of you know anything about his work?

Thanks, 333

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
bump this up for one last try??????

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You have a PM.

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Has anyone here used one of the Husqvarna "strengthened" versions of the Mauser Model 1896 [96] action for a custom rifle? These would be the Husqvarna Model 640 that do not have the thumbcut for the stripper clips. They were in a few models such as the 640 in 8x57mm

I am considering using one for a custom rifle to fit my very long build. Since I loved the military action so much on the Swede 96, and I have seen excellent custom jobs on that action I was considering the commercial version.

Most of the 640's are made on FN, moderniced m98's,actions. A 640 on o strengthened M94 is rather rare.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
So if I can find one that it totally unmodified with a barrel in very good condition for $200, I should buy it?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That's a really good price. But I would caution you that the large numbers of 640s recently imported on M38 actions means there is no premium assigned to it. They may be rare but they're still not worth more (or as much, even) as a 640 on an FN 98 action.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
....large numbers of 640s recently imported on M38 actions...

By this I understand you all of a sudden have a lot of 640's on the M38 action on your hands over there. They are good actions, very good steel, have no worries about preassure problems on theese actions, but they are still the old MauserM94 with the longer hammer-drop and cock on closing solution. Not at all in the same league as the moderniced FN M98's.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I agree. They are not as easy for follow-up shots because the cock-on-closing effort throws the gun much further from the point of aim as the bolt is returned to battery. Lock time is not so significant to me in a hunting rifle, though.

From a personal taste position, I find the M38 actions as exemplified in the Model 46 (not the strengthened 640) to be about as perfect in proportion and appearance as a Mauser system can be.