New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuning a Savage Mkll trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a savage MKll 22 bolt action rifle. It is one of the cheaper models without the accu-trigger. It creeps badly. Anyone have tips, diagrams, instructions, link to a web page, etc. that could help me tune this trigger? The gun is fairly new. Would it help if I dissassembled and cleaned the bolt? I've done that on other, old and dirty 22's and it has helped tremendously, but this one is almost new. Any help would be appreciated.

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I think about the best you can do is replace the sear with a new unit from rifle basix ($70 on sale at MidwayUSA). Here's a description of the replacement process: http://www.ihmsa.org/tom/techarticles/a_rifle_basix_cure_for_the_savag.htm

S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, thats an option.
The gun cost $105 new. It is very accurate. I hate to spend $70 on a $105 rifle.
I was hoping someone could show me how to stone the sear, if that is possible on this gun.
A while back someone posted instructions on how to stone the sear on Ruger triggers. I did it to mine and it worked well. I was hoping to do something similar to this gun.

One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Max503,
Check out www.rimfirecentral.com
There are some tips there for working the pre-accutrigger over. It works.
LC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Littlecanoe. That's what I was looking for.