Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted
What is the proper procedure to adjusting a Sako Trigger? The trigger in question is a L461 223 action. Thanks.

For some reason the safety will not move all the way to safe sometimes.

Can a guy get a safe 2 1/2 pounds on a factory trigger?

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wookie316:
Can a guy get a safe 2 1/2 pounds on a factory trigger?

Yes, that should be doable. Normally, it gets hard to safely lower the trigger pull much below 2lbs on a Sako.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you'll check the Sako factory website you will find PDFs of owner's manuals. The #4 trigger is the same on all of the L- and earlier A-series. The procedure for adjusting it is found in the owner's manual.

Yes, most Sako triggers can be adjusted safely down to 2.5 lbs, but I've come across a few that refuse. One thing the owner's manual may fail to advise you is that after adjusting to your desired weight, vigorously slam the bolt home in rapid succession about a dozen times to make sure that the sear is holding. Also bump the butt of the cocked gun on the floor as hard as you dare without damaging something to check for the same thing. It is pretty easy to adjust the Sako trigger to an extremely light pull, but it won't hold reliably below a certain weight.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Stonecreek said about testing that the sear holds under duress after adjusting the trigger...

In addition to that, in particular with Sakos, I have found the toughest test is to slam down the bolt handle. It is often the sear will hold when you vigorously push home the bolt, but when you really slam the bolt handle down into battery, you may find the sear releasing (at the same trigger setting).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote