Notify
Tools

FN Commercial mauser get s a new home. A few ?'s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted
Gents,
A few might remember I picked up an FN commercial muaser a month ago or so. Its a .308 and in used but good shape. THe local shop took it on trade, and the original owner bought it new. I am looking for info regarding the original rear sight as the one that is on it is not correct. It had a scope on it but it was a cheap one so I dug up an old Weaver for it but decided I wanted to get the irons right first. Any help would be great. Here is a couple pics.

Regards,
JAG

-

-

-

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Just a guess that the dovetail is aftermarket. I have an FN with a front sight on a ramp with a hood and no rear sight at all! The receiver is drilled and tapped for a peep sight like yours however.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I might be wrong, but I have two rifles on actions of contemporary design and time period and that is the same sight both of them have installed.

Have a Husky with blank in dovetail, but bet it was the ssme sight also.

Sights do not seem to be of the same quality of the rest of the firearms!

LouisB

Just a WAG on my part though! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4257 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a good number of old commercial FN's and they were all set up the same. Front sight, no rear sight, receiver drilled and tapped for scope mount and a receiver sight. I would guess that the rear sight on yours was added later. But I have been wrong before. [Roll Eyes]
Mike

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There were a lot of different sights used, depending on who the importer/retailer was and the year of manufacture.

Some came with a rear sight that had an elevator, the type found on Win. 94's. Some of these were held on in a dovetail, others had bracket that was screwed over the barrel.

I've seen them with the lyman, like in your photo, as well as a 2-leaf (1 folding) combination that used a larger dovetail. Some had no rear barrel sight and came with a Lyman peep.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one such rifle (in 270)which has a 3 leaf sight. Another has a folding leaf which adjusts with a little lever on the righthand side. I have a couple of extras of these folding leafs with the lever if this is what you are after. e-mail me if so. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3755 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
THe fact that the rear rec is drilled for peep does lead me to think the rear(barrel)dovetail was indeed added after the fact. I would be interested in seeing pics of what you all have. I would be most interested in the 2 or 3 leaf folding type sights, but any examples would be great.

Bill, email coming.

Thanks for all of hte info.
JAG

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've looked at a fair number of these myself and they did indeed come in a lot of configurations but most FN factory rifles don't have rear sights on the barrel. Your rifle looks like the stock was originally cut for a receiver sight, either a Lyman 48, Redfield, or Armstrong.
Congratulations on one of the finest commercial Mausers ever made.

-

[ 09-13-2003, 06:37: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've got a late 50's/early 60's Dumoulin .338 WinMag on a commercial SN action. It's drilled and tapped for a front ramp, rear peep and scope bases. It doesn't appear to have ever had the ramp or peep installed, just the scope mounts.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Fla3006,
Thank you for the pic and the congrats as I am indeed hooked. There WILL be more of these in the nest. Your correct, the stock was cut and rec drilled for sight. I dug thru my stuff and have a few peeps but not the right ones. I did find a container with a handful of peep apatures I had forgot about though, thats always nice.

I guess I am still undecided as to how I want the rifle to be configured. I would like to put a scope on it which I pulled from another rifle, and have iron back ups, but then again I am just as effective with a good set of peep sights.
So, a front sight hood(I have several but of course not the right size), a rear 2 or 3 leaf for scope back up and a rear peep, is about all I will need!

On a humerous note, the wife said she is amazed that a rifle will tear up my eyes.

Regards,
JAG

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Oh, any anyone have seriel number ranges for these? I was told it was purchased in the mid 50's but would like ot verify?
THanks
JAG

<Savage 99>
posted
The one I have has a s/n of 2xxx. A friend says there is one like it in the 1949 Gun Digest.

I hope this does not set off another collection/accumulation fever here.

I seem to be taking it out of the safe first and working the bolt too much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jag, my FN is like fla30-06's (far right), and it had a rear peep sight, hooded front ramp, and no dovetail in the barrel. Also has the FN logo under the front scope mount, and on the butt plate.

Drilled & tapped in the 60's, it wore a Weaver KV for years. I've since put a Leupold on it...and glad I did! These things are tackdrivers with the right loads. I would like to find one in .257 Roberts, but most are 270, or 30-06.

They are among the best of the Mausers ever made...enjoy it.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Well I take comfort in knowing that there is a handful here that truly understand and appriciate the these fine rifles. This has already kicked of another collection/accumilation run for me. I go to bed thinking about them and wake up and go straight to the safe. Pretty sad!

Mine may not be that old as it wears a 409XX number. We will see.

Regards,
JAG

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I know where there is a commercial FN in brand new condition. I'm pretty sure it's never been fired. Unfortunately the guy who has it is too. It doesn't have rear sites, has never been drilled and tapped for a scope, nor has it ever worn a rear receiver site. It has the fancy FN crest with a 24" barrel. It's absolutely beautiful. However, the man wants 800.00 for it.

I've considered adding it to my collection, but I buy rifles to use them for hunting, therefore it wouldn't be long before I had it drilled and tapped for a scope. I know that if I was to have a rifle built custom along the same lines it would cost me about 2000.00 though...

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
JBabcock- What caliber is the rifle you describe? If it is in the condition you describe, I'd like to purchase it. Could you put me in touch with the seller?
Thanks,
Forrest Bruch

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
JB and Forrest, whoever ends up with it, I would really like eo see it.
TIA,
JAG

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
It's a 30 gov't 06. The safety is similiar to a Mark X. But it locks the bolt when "on." My JC Higgins FN's have the safety that was on the left side of the bolt. This is a much nicer action than those are though. The writing on the side of the action is different as well. Inletting is perfect, FN butt plate. The only marks I saw on the rifle were some minor stuff on the front sight.

All in all, a beautiful rifle.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mr. Babcock: The rifle you are looking at is an FN Supreme, not a Deluxe like the above pictured rifles which have bolt safeties, also a great rifle.

[ 09-15-2003, 17:27: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
JBabcock-
Again, will you put me in touch with the seller?

Forrest Bruch
forrest@bruch.com

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Well Forrest, I couldn't quit going and looking at it! Then I had to sell a rifle, scrape up a few dollar bills, and you know what happened next!

Rifle is an original FN Supreme, never been fired, never been tapped for scope. It has a few handling marks from being shuffled around for a few years, (about 45). I talked to a few folks about the gun and all said that I might not ever find a gun like that again. I've certainly never seen one like it, that wasn't put together by a gunsmith anyway. Stock is a light color, just a hint of fiddleback in the back of the stock. She's a beauty.

Now should I tap it for a scope...

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
PICS DAMMIT!!! We Need pics!!!!
JAG

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mr. Babcock- Congrats! Don't drill the receiver, add a recoil pad or otherwise butcher it. Yes, pics please.

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
That's just it though. Guns are for hunting to me. So I will probably do both to it.

If I can get my hands on a digital camera I'll post some pics.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I guess this is a controversial topic, but why don't you find one like JAG has that's already had a little use to hunt with?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Babcock, you'll find the FN dosen't need a recoil pad. They posess a reasonable amount of mass as they are, and therefore recoil isn't a problem. Shoot it first, then decide before adding a recoil pad.

They are the best of the commercial Mauser type rifles rivaling the "B" sporter put out by Mauser(sans the set trigger) years ago. Like the post-war M70, and late M30's, their improved stock design, weight and balance, and barrel length fit the modern concept of what a sporter should be. In short, they're a dream.

Happy huntin'

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Hey Jbabcock, You want to trade? Hell I'll trade you straight accross!!!!! Please dont alter that rifle. I am struggleing to get it as close to original as possible and I read you may drill *cringe*. There are many here that I am sure can dig up one like mine that you would be happy with. Yes I agree, I hunt with my guns, but in as original shape as possible. Again please leave it original.

Regards,
JAG

<Savage 99>
posted
I would scope the rifle. The front bridge has a very nice crest on it however. Perhaps a mount base could be found with wide hole spacings so the tapped holes span it? The rear bridge will not loose anything as such tapped holes are on all rifles now.

Instead of a recoil "pad" find a thin rubber butt plate and fit it to the stock without marking it.

Ruger has such rubber pads on their #1's and they don't hurt at all. It's the hard plastic or steel plates that really hurt. Another option is to shoot it at the range with a Pachmeyer slip on pad. I carry two in my shooting box. Now to think of it my old 99F in .358 has a thin pad on it that I put on as the wood is quite nice and I did not want to cut it. It's just fine for hunting and with 180's I don't even slip the other pad on at the range.

My old FN was really messed up by drilling thru the crest and drilling the rear bridge way off center. It also has a shotgun type pad and headspace. Even so the rifle has character.

Use it and shoot it. That's what it is for.

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
JAG,

I've got 3 that are very similiar to yours. They are JC Higgins with the FN actions. I love all 3 of them. The 270 is my favorite rifle, I like it better than my Pre-war model 70. Fits like a dream, and shoots great too. My 30-06 is the gun I grab to go hunting most of the time and I'll probably take it with me on my next Grizzly hunt.

But this FN is as close to a custom rifle as I may ever own. That's why I bought it. I'm primarily a hunter, that likes to shoot rifles. I'm not a collector, though I bought the Pre-war for that reason. I may leave the FN buttplate on it if the rifle comes to my shoulder right. I'll have to go shoot some rocks with hunting clothes on though to determine that. As to the scope, I'm not sure yet, but it will probably happen. [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'll buy the FN buttplate if you cut the stock for a pad, which I hope you won't.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
JBabs, I can hardly bring myself to forgive you for pulling this stunt.

If you have to put a scope on the rifle, put a band on the barrel flush against the receiver ring and put the front foot of a claw mount there. You can drill and tap the rear bridge for the rear base of the claw mount. It's a nice set-up, that will only run you about $1200. If you don't want to put that much into the rifle, I stand ready to take it off your hands.

Hell is already full of people who defaced the front ring of FN Supremes. Don't be next to fall into Satan's trap.

I have a hard time not hating you, but I'm really trying.

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I guess I shouldn't use Weaver tip off's then... [Wink]

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Im going to sell the FN Supreme, otherwise I'll end up drilling and tapping the receiver. Would also have to shorten the stock etc.

Anyway, if your interested, let me know...

jdbabcock@integrity.com

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mr. Babcock: Congratulations on the right decision not to butcher this fine rifle. I already have several FNs and 4 other rifles "in the mail" so I can't buy it now. Somebody else should step up to the plate, rifles like these in this condition don't come around often.

<JBelk>
posted
For those that really love the old FN/Browning center-fires here's MY impression of which model is which.

FN started making commercial actions in 1948. Those actions had "C" rings at first and still had a clip guide and hump on the rear bridge.

Then the "C" ring disappeared, then the clip guide and hump next.....this seems to have happened in early 1949.

In 1950 all the actions had cut inner rings and no clip guide or hump. The safety was still on the shroud on the left side (great safeties) and the floorplate was NOT hinged with a release button that sticks out of the latch hole. THis became known as the model of 1951 and most were only marked with an oval below the stock line with FN inside. ONLY actions barrelled AT FN had the crest on the front ring. ONLY actions that had barrels installed were serial numbered....and those numbers don't seem to mean anything at all....I've seen early rifles with high numbers and late rifle with three digits.

1951 actions were sold all over the world wrapped in VPI paper and contained in a heavy cardboard box. Flaigs and Century were very large dealers in this country and sold these actions under a couple different names and with many barreling options. Raw actions were in the $89 range. Solid bottom single shots were ten dollars more.

In 1953 the trigger was changed to a cheap unit with a terrible side safety and a slick bolt shroud. The floorplate was hinged and the release was a small lever hinged in the front of the trigger guard. Browning bought a BUNCH of these.

The old FNs are VERY nice rifles with a fairly awkward grip section to the stocks but the wood is very good and every one I've ever seen were great shooters.

Anyone who drills through the FN logo on the front ring of an original FN sporting rifle should have their nut sack slit and their leg run through the hole....... [Wink]

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Hey Jack!
I have really fell in love with this rifle. I removed the bases and am looking for a peep for it. It will be my oldest daughters rifle so I want to get it back to as original as possible.

Bill leeper sent me a flip up sight but its not hte right on(Bill, the sight is on its way back! THanks) I picked up small bag of sights because there was two, 2 leaf sights in it, but there are not correct either. ANyway thanks for the info everyone. Jack, nice to see you back.

Regards,
JAG

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Well Jack..."I see your back... [Cool] "

one of us
posted Hide Post
JAG,

If you ever get an FN that you want to scope correctly, check out my FN claw mounts and rings under gunsmithing, they match the hole spacing on your rifle perfectly.

Michael S.

<slancey>
posted
JBabcock,
I'm sincerely interested in the Supreme. Is it possible to get some pictures? What's the serial number range?

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I'll be getting some pics soon, the serial number is 388XX.