New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Won't Fit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received my new CZ 550 Full Stock in 6.5x55 SE. I am having a problem with the bolt face.
It seems that the bolt face or extractor is to small for the head if the brass . If I remove the bolt and try to manually slide the head of the brass onto the extractor and the bolt face it will fit but not without quit a bit if pressure.
I removed the bolt from the 6.5 and put it into my 9.3. It worked flawlessly.
It seems to me that 6.5 bolt head is the same size as the 9.3 and it should be larger. All of the data that I have on the 6.5x55 calls for a head dimension of .480 and .470 for the 9.3x62.

The brass I am using is Lapua (new). This brass works flawlessly in my new Winchester M70 Featherweight in 6.5x55.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Most American made brass I`ve loaded for the Swede is 0.470", the same as any 308, `06, ect case. My Shilen barreled Mark X will take anything I`ve used so far but I have had trouble with some shell holders and Norma brass. The larger head size is correct though and the bolt should except it. I`d have the bolt opened up a hair. It`s a easy job for a good smith to remove a thousanth or two and should be fairly inexpensive.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grab your mic and start measuring. I'd exhaust all avenues and variables before taking the bolt to the lathe. Why not try turning the rims down on a few of your brass just a thou or two and see how it works? I assume you are going to use this brass in only this one rifle? Brass is cheap; bolts are not...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote