Find
Notify
Tools

external gun protectants
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,
This may be a can of worms, but do any of you have good experiences with external gun protectants such as wax or BW Armadillo or Moly Fusion or any other stuff? Looking for a dry film material. I'm considering switching from my stainless/plastic wonder to a converted military beater for my bad weather gun, and would like to protect it, but it would not really be valuable enough to me to justify a professional coating/plating job. springfield or 96 mauser. Thanks.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used plain old Johnsons Paste floor wax for this,metal and wood. It can be renewed, removed and doesn't hurt. I have also used RIG for metal protection. There may be newer better wonder stuff, but these have worked well for 45 years of my using them

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wax is good, but I believe there was a post on this a while back.
Off the shelf Kleen-Bore RustGuardit is the best stuff I have ever used.
It stays waxy for like 100 years and doesnt rub off.
Really great, but check for previous posts about this as it has already been covered.

-Spencer

<eldeguello>
posted
I have been using Birchwood-Casey Sheath since the 1960's. It goes on liquid, but leaves a dry coating in short order. I have never had steel treated with it rust, and that includes black powder rifle bores. RIG is excellent, but if used in the bore, it takes with several patches to remove it all before the weapon can be fired.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I 2nd the Beechwood - Casey Sheath...the fact that it is all I ever used may make me a bit prejudgiced, though.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I agree that I am prejudiced in favor of it too, Mike! BUT, it works!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in for Birchwood-Casey Sheath. I used to do a lot of duck hunting on salt water and Sheath was the best rust preventative I've used. Works on the entire gun including the bore.
Ralph

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have been using Militec for the last couple years. I first learned about it from some SF types while deployed a couple years ago. It worked amazingly well in the desert due to its "dry" properties. It goes on liquid and you have to give a few treatments for full effect. But after it is treated it works exceptionaly well in wet environments. I use it on all my guns and have had zero rust problems. I am amazed at how easy the powder residue cleans off my stainless revolvers since they were treated. Give it a try, you will be impressed.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote