THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking a M70 action for custom rifle.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

I am considering having a custom rifle built on a M70 and I need to purchase an rifle/action for the project.

Other than clearly obvious flaws what key points should I look for when checking out a receiver? I naturally want to pick a "winner" and ensure the best platform for the finished product so any help you can offer is appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me and I wanted to pick a winner, I most certainly would go with a Rem. 700 action as opposed to a Win. They are easier to blueprint and generally end up a lot better rifle all the way around. Bob

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I would argue that one til hell froze over...I would try an get a 153 model pre 64 Win...and since all you want is the action, if its clean then buy it...Resale on a Win Custom will beat the hell out of a Remington, which you cannot give away in custom form...Blueprint?, thats a scam that half the gunnies in the world have fallen for...

Posts: 41993 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really think that blueprinting an action is a scam? I've got to let the guys that shoot Rem. actions in B.R. that they have been had. I have a Rem. 30BR that will go up against any Win. and I don't really worry too much about loosing, as far as accuracy is consernsd. If you are looking for pretty, I have to agree with you, but looks don't really mean much trying to hit a 1/8 inch dot 100yds away.

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BBeyer,

I sent you a PM. eMail is not working 100% as I can receive but not send messages.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure cann't tell that Athinson doesn't like rem actions. What I'd do is talk to the guy that's going to build the rifle sometimes they can get an action plus some of them perfer one action over another. What gunnies mean by blueprint the action is just squaring it up anybody who's been around knows what that means no need to poke fun. I always figure no matter what action it's going to take somewhere around $200 square it up old or new. I just had a 300wsm done up was a new model 70 fwt has new stock and barrel. I've also get a 6.5x284 model 70. For the traditional type guy the model 70 is his action now when you want to get into tricking out an action more can be done with a 700. The bolt must have over 15 things that can be done alone. I've owned a number of model 70 over the years even had acouple of those super grade model 70's gave both those to my nephew 30-06 and 300 H&H and have only one factory HV222 now they do not make a good accurate rifle they even tried their heavy barrel rifle using Schneider barrel. They make a good hunting rifle and that what their action is for. Just my .02

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just buy one and send it to a good riflesmith. The important stuff isn't visible to the naked eye so it isn't worth getting worked up over trying to pick a good one. Pick a good gunsmith and he'll tell you whether the action is good or not after he looks it over. There's very little that a good gunsmith can't fix, chances are you'll get something your gunsmith can work with from any M70 you buy.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The fact the 700 was mentioned as a great "BR" gun speaks volumes. If you are a hunter, there is no doubt the 70 or a 98 action is the way to go. Moreover, don't believe the guff about 70s aren't accurate. Some pretty savvy gents on this forum, not to mention the best rifle makers out there, much prefer the 70 to any other when making quality hunting rifles. Go with Ray's advice. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I could care less if the Remington 700 is "easier" to blueprint than the Model 70. Worrying about 'easy-blueprinting' isn't my job -- finding a top-notch riflesmith who knows how to blueprint and otherwise rework the action of my choice is, and my choice happens to be the Model 70.

The Model 70 can be blueprinted and otherwise subjected to the same accurizing proceedures as the Model 700, fitted with the same barrels, and likewise properly bedded to maximize accuracy potential. When complete, a sporter-weight Model 70 will shoot just about as well as the Model 700, and the Model 70's winning accuracy record in over-the-course and 1,000 yard events is beyond question.

As far as the original question is concerned, if you want a fine .30-06, .270 Win., .25-06, .280 Rem., etc., buy a pre-64 Model 70 action, preferrably one in the 100,000 thru 300,000 serial number range. With the these, the length is a little shorter than the current Classic action, and the magazine system is already exactly right for these cartridges and does not need to be replaced. Also, if you want a .375 H&H or .300 H&H, a pre-64 in one of these chamberings is exactly right because, once again, the magazine system is truly correct for these two cartridges, and the boxes will hold four-down, plus one in the chamber, and you don't want to go to the expense of acquiring a new, correct aftermarket magazine box and follower.

The current Model 70 Classic, in my opinion, is at its best for short magnums (i.e., 7mm Rem. Mag.) if you're going to go with a replacement box such as Blackburn's, and also for long magnums such as the .375 H&H, .416 Rem., and .458 Lott. The receiver is a bit longer, and it adapts better to these cartridges, especially if you're going to (and you should) install an aftermarket magazine box. For the .416 Rem. and .458 Lott, you're going to have to have the receiver opened up anyway to get feeding really right.

I always buy Classics in .270, .25-06, or .30-06 no matter what sort of magnum I'm having built, simply because there's more material in the bolt face, etc., for a gunsmith to remachine to get everything just right, and the results have been fantastic. I look for actions somewhere below the G300,000 serial number range, and mostly below the G280,000 range. These come off of rifles built before the "LT" stock series, and feature the old pre-64 style fining pin stop screw on the left side of the bolt sleeve.

Other stuff I look for: Good, crisp lettering of the "Winchester" logo and serial number, and I make sure than the cocking piece does not bind on either the right or left side of the cocking piece raceway in the receiver. I also make sure that the back of the cocking piece is square and not ground at an angle, and that there's a clean appearance (no pronounced gouges/lack of pits or grinding marks, etc.) to the receiver, bolt body, and so forth.

I've only come up with one bad Classic action that could not be used. It had, as it turns out, crooked action screw holes that I didn't catch, nor would I have known to look for.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Thanks, that is exactly the type of info I am looking for!

What a great idea regarding choosing a 25/06, 270, 30/06 class action when building a larger caliber.
Makes perfect sense and gives the smith more to work with. I am planning a 300win for hunting the Western US,
Canada and African plains game.

Best Regards,
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen: I sent you a PM. Gary T.

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote