New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customizing Ruger P Series
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How come the Ruger P Series semi auto pistols do not have more of a customizing following. I've owned a 40 S&W for 9 years now and I think it's a great platform for a build up. The reliability on these guns is incredible. The design is wonderfully simple. Why are these guns so overlooked by pistol enthusiests. I own a few "high dollar" pistols, but the P Series has really won me over.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a P-94 for quite a few years. Never could get it to feed right. I tried every type of factory ammo available but it never was reliable. Sometimes it would feed a clip or two through and never miss a lick and then for no apparent reason it would hang up on every other shot. Didn't matter if it was clean or dirty or I held it firmly or limp wristed it. Loaned it out to a friend and it still jammed up. When I traded it off the guy who took it told me that it was a fairly common problem. Dont know if he was right or blowing smoke at me. If he was correct then that may explain why there are not more aftermarket upgraged to them. Maybe someone else here can shed some light on the question.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
RJ,

You seem pretty pleased with the performance of your Ruger now. What customizing did you have in mind?

I doubt seriously that there will ever be much of a market for tricked out Rugers. The 1911's and their clones pretty well have that area covered. Even if you could trick out a Ruger of any series, the cost would be enormous and when you were finished, it would still be a Ruger.

Nothing against Ruger mind you, but if they can't be made to look as good as, or, out perform the customized 1911's, then I don't see how they could expect to compete on the same scale as that enjoyed by Colt, Springfield and their clones.

The 1911's are like the Remington 700's, Winchester 70's, Mausers, Chevy 327's etc. There are more "trick" items available for them, and you can do more to them. When you're finished, you have something "almost" worth what you've spent. Leave your Ruger like it is, and enjoy it for what it is...

Malm