New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting cost ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have a round ball figure what it would cost to convert an Eddystone p-17 30-06 into a 300 win mag? I've heard it can be done pretty easily. Thanks

Posts: 150 | Location: upper michigan | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Open bolt face - $30.00
Rechamber to 300 WM - $150.00
Ensure reliable feeding - ????

You could get lucky on the feeding part, or not. Assume a couple of hours of massaging, just to be safe, and you're looking at $250.00 (all prices in CDN). In US funds or Euros, roughly 2/3 of the given price. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sell P-17 for $150

Buy M70 $450

No wait for the gun plumber to do his thing!

Seriously, making a nice sporter out of a P-17 or P-14 will run many hundreds of dollars by the time all the machining is done, a new stock is purchased and installed, bluing, new bolt, trigger, convert to cock on open, etc. And you are still shooting a military barrel. Throw on a quality barrel and you add about $400 to $500 more for the barrel and installation.

I have been through a lot of P-14 and P-17 conversions, and in a practical sense, they ain't worth the expense.

Buy a nice M70 or M700 at Wally Mart and go hunting.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info. I'm not a gun smith and was just curious. Advise sounds great. I will keep the p-17 as a 30-06 and purchase a new 300 win.mag. later.

Posts: 150 | Location: upper michigan | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote