THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Dettorre Dumb Question # 3 - Is it okay to Filtz a bbl
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dettorre Dumb Question # 3 - Is it okay to Filtz a bbl
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Yeti,

Thanks but I never bought into firing hot abrasive things down my barrel.

I firmly agree Mike.

Anyone who believes differently?
Don your asbestos suit and ask about "fire lapping" over on the benchrest central forums...

The general belief over there is that if a barrel "needs" "fire lapping" what it really
NEEDS is to be removed from the rifle and used as a piece of re-bar.

Bring any of those Tubbs final finish "fire lapping" bullets anywhere near any of my rifle barrels and you'd better have a good proctologist on retainer...

From the Hart Barrel web site:
.... What do you recommend for barrel break-in?
We do not believe that a break in procedure is required with our barrels. If you follow our normal cleaning procedure, outlined in this brochure, you should not have any problems with your new rifle. You always want to clean your rifle as often as your course of fire will allow. If you have time to shoot one and clean, that would be fine, but we personally do not feel it is necessary. Please be sure to only use the cleaning solvents listed in our cleaning instructions.

.... Should I use JB or other abrasive cleaners in my barrel?
You should avoid abrasive cleaners of any kind in your barrel, as if used improperly, it may damage your barrel and reduce the life expectancy of the barrel.

From Lilja:
Break-in Procedure
For an effective break-in the barrel should be cleaned after every shot for the first 10-12 rounds or until copper fouling stops. Our procedure is to push a cotton patch that is wet with solvent through the barrel. This will remove much of the powder fouling and wet the inside of the barrel with solvent. Next, wet a bronze brush with solvent and stroke the barrel 5-10 times. Follow this by another wet patch and then one dry patch. Now soak the barrel with a strong copper removing solvent until all of the blue mess is removed from the barrel. The copper fouling will be heavy for a few rounds and then taper off quickly in just one or two shots. Once it has stopped or diminished significantly it is time to start shooting 5 shot groups, cleaning after each one. After 25-30 rounds clean at a normal interval of 10-25 rounds. Your barrel is now broken-in.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote