New
Find
Notify
Tools

model 70 modifications
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
so heres the deal i really don't know that much about this type of stuff cause ive never really messed with it. i have a model 70 ultimate shadow in 270wsm. i would like to adjust the trigger down to between 2.5-3lbs. and it also sounds like i would benifit from a bedding job. i have been doing a little reading on the bedding and there seams to be 2 ways to go about it. one being aluminum pillar bedding and then glass bedding. ive seen them done seperatly in youtube vids and then also done together. does one replace the other or for maximum accuracy are both necessary. also where can i find a good write up on adjusting the trigger myself? it seems like it is fairly simple on these triggers from what ive read but i havn't quite found a write up on how to actually do it. thanks for any info and please bear with my newb questions.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
For maximum accuracy I would recommend including pillars. I don't know of any DIY trigger instructions for Winchester 70 triggers, but I'm sure they abound and "Google" can provide several sites.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the adjustment web page I found a while back. The only thing I don't like is the suggestion to cut off a coil if you can't get it light enough. I would just get a different spring.
Winchester trigger

But then again, just send it to Westpac to make sure it is done right. It might be better.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nick321
posted Hide Post
i have an FN PBR which is a winchester action and it's pretty simple to adjust the trigger. just pop it out of the stock and look at the back of the trigger there are 2 little nuts that you just adjust until you get the desired weight. when you get the weight right you can put some nail polish on the nuts and screw to act as a light "glue" put it back into the stock and cycle the bolt and put the weapon on "kill" and from about shin height holding the barrel drop the rifle on the butt and make sure it does not fire. if it does it's too light if it does not your ready to shoot stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no user friendly adjustment for creep. only weight and overtravel.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I respect the very fine M-70 trigger, as Jim Kobe says, the creep cannot be taken out without working on the sear engagement (aka) less engagement)

This is a modification that causes fainting spells with the manufacturer. Realistically, this should not be attempted by the inexperienced.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny thing, I thought 22WRF was here recently dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was. But you said it alot better than I did so I just erased my post. dancing