Find
Notify
Tools

Which 22-250 barrel do I need?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well after 30 years and 10,000+ rounds down stream my 'factory" MKX barrel can't get me MOA any longer. Over the years I have increased the OAL to get the bullet closer to the receding lands. It is now a single shot. Pervious loads that have worked a a number of new attempts and 1.25-1.5MOA is the best I can do.

So I'm in the market for a new barrel. Since I do at time use this as a carry rifle I don't want to go with a heavy varmint or bull.

CM because I don't use it alone for days long PD trips. So I was thinking something in a simply heavy sporter. Maybe light target. It will remain a 22-250 and I won't be using heavy bullets so don't need a super fast twist.

Thoughts and experience?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a Douglas air gauged #2 on a VZ-24 in 7x57 Ackley. It's in the stock I bought from you a while back. I like it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It all depends on how much $ you want to spend on one. I have $75 Midway barrels that shoot great and I have $350 Kriegers that shoot the same. For hunting rifles, I always use Douglas, mostly.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'll have to take your word on the stock. I've slept since then and the holes in the swiss cheese memory are getting bigger.

I've used a lot of Douglas and the older McGowan. Heck even used a Midway or two.

Since this rifle only gets a new barrel every 30+ years a couple $$ more is not that big of a deal. I was thinking of trying a new McGowan

Just looking to buy quality not the name.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use SHilen almost exsclusively,they are great barrels! let me know if you are interested.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim For some reason I've never used a Shilen.

Decisions Decisions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well after sleeping on it and a couple coffee I've decided I've used a good number of Douglas barrels over the years. I've had no issues so since this is a hunting rifle Douglas will be fine.

Decided on probably a #3 cut to 22" also decided that while I have no plans to shoot heavy bullets a tighter twist like a 8 wouldn't hurt anything. Right now leaning a touch towards SS and if I don't like the look I can get the air brush out. But knowing me the day is young I might change again. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K