New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need dealer to accept rifle from Germany
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all.....I am applying to ATF to import a 1903 M-S carbine from Germany (already purchased). I will need someone licensed to receive the gun and transfer ownership to me.
I am in Gainesville, FL
Please suggest an appropriate licensee.
Thanks.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
conifer,

Your local dealer can request the forms for an 'occasional import' from the nearest ATFE office. I believe it costs $50.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Contact Dale Nygaard... He imports both new and used guns from Germany regularly and can help you out.

Once he receives it and your ATF approval, he can forward it to your local FFL holder.

Dale's website is:
www.heirloomarmes.com

here's the form you'll need to complete and send to the ATF Director before the gun arrives.

You'll have to get this approved document back from the ATF before the gun can be received... and that can take 4-6 weeks.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f53303d.pdf

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You can get the ATF Form 6 off their website for free. Any licensed FFL holder can then receive the rifle for you assuming ATF approves your Form 6. Make sure they understand the rifle you intend to import is not a military rifle. I would include photocopies of the rifle and complete description from a publication like Gun Trader Guide or Blue Book of Gun Values to make their job easier. In my experience, the people passing judgement on Form 6s at BATF are not gun enthusiasts or knowledgeable about different firearms, essentially government clerks like at the Post Office, etc.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Any licensed FFL holder can then receive the rifle for you assuming ATF approves your Form 6.

If you go that route, make sure your FFL holder will go to the US Customs Office at the gun's port of entry to retreive it for you.

They can't just ship it directly to him b/c he's an FFL holder.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
But...my licensed dealer just received a gun for me, directly from Germany....ignored by customs. The ATF permit read "not for resale"!!
He is sending the permit info to customs, asking for documentation of receipt. All of this is extremely confusing.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
These are, after all, government employees (no offense to those present) nothing they could do would surprise me.

I've only imported two guns "For personal use, not for resale."

Both went smoothly, I completed the form 6, sent it to the ATF and they sent it back approved.

I sent the approved Form 6 to the Importer, and he took the form to the Customs' Office to retreive the guns.

I was told that they also have some heafty "storage fees" if your items aren't claimed in a timely manner, and furthermore that unclaimed guns would be shipped back to their point of origin.

Then he shipped them to my FFL where i picked them up as usual.

PS - the airfreight wasn't exactly cheap as i recall either.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted by new_guy: make sure your FFL holder will go to the US Customs Office at the gun's port of entry to retreive it for you.

My dealer gave me a signed affidavit authorizing me to act on his behalf. Customs happily accepted it and turned the guns over to me. I then went to my dealer and completed the legal transfer.

Conifer, I know of other instances where guns sent from overseas mistakenly bypassed U.S. customs. Not supposed to work that way but some get by, usually those sent via mail.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, gentlemen....."I shall endeavour to persevere".....The Outlaw, Josie Wales