Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 798
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for opinion on the new Remington Model 798.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Do a search on this site for the Daly. The new Rem 798 is nothing more than the Charles Daly in a Laminated stock. They are a nice commercial style 98 action just a new version of the Interarms MarkX. Normally the fit and finish of the barrel and action is good. Not great but good enough for a normal factory rifle. I've never had a MKX or Daly barreled action that I couldn't get to shoot sub MOA with reloads. Many don't like the slide safety and I don't care for the crosspin floorplate release. The trigger is adjustable and you normally can get around #3 without creep by just adjusting it.

If I liked that stock I would buy one depending on the price. If I didn't like the stock and was going to change it. I would look for a used MKX.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking too it. All before morning coffee. thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mzr3yt:
I'm looking for opinion on the new Remington Model 798.

The Dalys have been available for a while but as far as I know the Remingtons are so far non existant however I hear a trickle of sales is happening. Very few have even seen one yet except as Ramrod340 suggested.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Now that I have had my first cup of coffee.

Looking at Gunbroker I see new synthetic Dalys starting at $299 don't know about the reserve. But the buy now price is $359.
Example:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=55148218
There are a number of listing the going price is about the same.
The 798s are showing up and Buy now prices range from $514-580
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=55479120

That laminated stock and saying Rem on the side isn't worth $125 to me.

For my $$ something like this is the better buy:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=54797156

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=55226686
This last seller has several nice looking MKXs In the less than $500 range.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually handeld the 798.
At a GI-joes store in portland Or.
It was a 300 Win. I also have a Old MK10.
The Zastava part was prety impressive.
I Don't have a problem with the Cross pin floor plate release, but I could live without the hole in the front of the trigger guard where the old release was. Bluing was excelent for a factory rifle, but the stock was pitifull.
At least on this rifle the finish was rough and felt like hell in my hands.
The price was 559.00 , witch is not bad. It might be a decent price even as a barreld action considering you would have a usable stock till you could replace it.
But If you could find a MK10 in the caliber you want it would probably be a better way to go.
My mk 10 witch I bought as a 30,06 just for the action, at 240.00, But I was in it about 700 by the time I had a 26 inch Douglas 25,06 tube on it and got it blued, so if you can't find a Mk 10 in the desired chambering
The 798 is a reasonable option as far as I am concerned...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I could live without the hole in the front of the trigger guard where the old release was.

I had to go look to see what you were talking about. Guess we could be thankful that they did fill in the top 60% of the slot. With that pin release I don't really see how you could do it without leaving that slot for the tab to move through. My late model MKX looks the same way. Can't see how that was chaper to build the the old style but I'm know machinist.

Years & years ago I did have someone tell me that the change was made because of complaints of the old release sometimes opening under heavy recoil. The finger hit the knob portion of the tab and out the shells came. Don't have a clue if he new what he was talking about. I do know that my 375 Whitworth had the knob removed just for that reason. Left it smooth like a 1909 release. No more problems.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K