Find
Notify
Tools

Re-Barreling a .17 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I have a .17 Rem Remington LVSF and although I don't need it done yet, I was wondering who to use to re-barrel. I have heard that PAC-NOR was the best choice for small calibres.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Lilja has one of the best reputations for small calibers. Doesn't Border barrels there in the UK do 17 caliber barrels? They make very good barrels and it would certainly be easier to deal with them than a US company for gun parts.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
Frank, thanks.
Border Barrels don't do .17, the only European make seems to be Loather/Walther.
Lija actually have a .17 barrel ready to go, but Dan does not seem to keen on dealing with me directly so will have go via the Smith who would fit it.
I know the shipping out of the US can pose some problems.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't hesitate to use Lothar Walther! I've used 5 of their barrels building 17 Remingtons on AR-15's, and every one of them shoots great and cleans easily. I came to expect groups of 1" or less with them as a standard without playing around with loads at all. In fact three that I got reports back on all shot in the 1/2" range.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote