New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold dual dove tail.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just ordered a pair of Leupold dual dovetail mounts for a M70. On the box there is a statement that there are held to as little as 3/10000 of an inch, so far I cant find where that may be. Does anyone have anyrecomendations as to turning the rings into the dovetail, they are so tight I am unable to do it.

[ 01-23-2003, 05:23: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I've been using the same ground down hammer handle for 35 years. Make sure the ring is flush to the mount and TURN it. Make sure there's a small dab of grease on both sides of the dovetail to prevent galling. The rings and mounts aren't heat-treated.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Smallfry,

Get yourself or have someone to turn you a 1" dia steel rod long enough to bridge both rings. The hammer handle works great to install the rings without damage, but you will want to have the steel rod to align both rings with each other so that your scope will sit perfect within the rings without any bind.

To test the alignment, install the 1" rod in the rings like you would a scope and tighten the caps down. Next, slightly loosen the cap screws and see if you can rotate the rod in the rings. At this point you should also be able to slide the rod through the rings. If you can do this without any bind, the rings are pretty well aligned and ready for the scope. Remember, with dual dovetail rings being fixed like they are, if the rings aren't perfectly aligned, then damage to the scope tube is possible.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBELK, and G. Malmborg, yes thank you for the tips, I have some 1018 and 4140 1" here at home and will try that. Thursday or friday I am gonna sneak into the shop at school and turn a piece of 1" 360 I have down just a hair, cut some lap chargin groves 2" apart, tap a hole couple inches deep... lengthwise in it and stick an old handle on it like a billyclub I figure ill have a good brass lap tool for fairly cheap. Sound good?

By the way Mr Belk I at one time remeber you saying you use STP oil treatment for case lube? I have used it on small parts for awhile as a lube strait out of the bottle. My question is... the stuff is so sticky do you use an ink pad ? Will it absorb into one?

[ 01-23-2003, 17:12: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
o

<JBelk>
posted
smallfry---

Yes, STP will soak into a pad. I've been using it since about 1967.

Good plan on the lap. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
This may be too late since you already bought the rings, but have you considered the Burris Signature rings. They are much less difficult to align and put virtually no stress on the scope once they're installed.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I dont believe in plastic inserts as any formulation of scope retention, In fact I dont like alot of things that are plastic on guns these days, its bad enough you see so much aluminum.

thank you Mr. Belk

[ 01-23-2003, 21:04: Message edited by: smallfry ]