Find
Notify
Tools

Found something odd in an old rifle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I picked up an old J.C. Higgins 22LR that is nearly identical to the old Savage model 87 "Click, clack" rifles. I thought it rather unique with the Bakelite stock and 24" bbl and love the way it feels. But while cleaning it I found that toward the end of the bbl, about 2" down from the muzzle, there is a small, perfectly formed recess in the bore about 1/8" or so long. Confused It looks way to clean to be somebody's muck up and appears to be put there deliberately by the factory. Is there any practical purpose for something like that? This is an old rifle, probably circa 60's. I would think it would be extremely detrimental to accuracy and am quite puzzled as to why it might be there.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's probably a bulge caused by firing the rifle with a barrel obstruction. Quite common in older 22s. I've seen rifles with multiple bulges, one that a customer showed me had 5. I've ponder for many minutes on what causes them. The most likely culprit is a stuck bullet, with mud dauber nest and cleaning patch trailing in the running.

They only way to know if it hurts accuracy is to try it. Normally they don't make a lot of difference unless it's right at the muzzle.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Everything M said is exactly right.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it rather unique with the Bakelite stock and 24" bbl and love the way it feels.

I rather like those guns, too, but the stock material was called "Tenite". Not one of Savage's better ideas back in the late 40's.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
It's probably a bulge caused by firing the rifle with a barrel obstruction. Quite common in older 22s. I've seen rifles with multiple bulges, one that a customer showed me had 5. I've ponder for many minutes on what causes them. The most likely culprit is a stuck bullet, with mud dauber nest and cleaning patch trailing in the running.

They only way to know if it hurts accuracy is to try it. Normally they don't make a lot of difference unless it's right at the muzzle.

If that were the case, then wouldnt it be apparent on the outside? There is no evidence of a bulge on the outer surface whatever. It appears more like it was carefully cut and very uniform. But I could understand what you describe happening easily enough, especially on an old semi-auto. All it would really take is one bad .22 round.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
quote:
I thought it rather unique with the Bakelite stock and 24" bbl and love the way it feels.

I rather like those guns, too, but the stock material was called "Tenite". Not one of Savage's better ideas back in the late 40's.

Tenite.. That's good to know. When I was a kid we had an old Stevens 22/410 over and under with one of those stocks. I loved that gun. This one also has a great feel about it. Most .22 rifles feel muzzle light to me. Im hoping I can get it working good. Got a couple minor parts on the way from Numrich. Its gonna bum me out if I have to cut the bbl down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:

If that were the case, then wouldnt it be apparent on the outside? There is no evidence of a bulge on the outer surface whatever.

It's probably there, it just isn't as apparent on a 22 as it is a shotgun or bigger rifle. Hold the barrel up to a light and sight down the side of it. You'll probably see a small ripple on the outside that corresponds to the inside ring.

Changing the barrel on one of those is simple if you can find another. And if you're so inclined.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote