New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt stops--custom, aftermarket, etc.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a rifle with some kind of custom bolt stop (a.k.a. bolt release) that was basically a big knob (tactical? Smiler ) that you pull to retract a pin so that the bolt lug could pass through the race in the receiver. It was sort of a pain to use and a bit of an eyesore, so I decided to change it. I like the lever/rocker type bolt stops because you just push them in to remove the bolt and can reinstall the bolt with one hand by sliding it right back in. This rifle already had a big hole in the side and a corresponding notch in the stock, so instead of making some kind of rocker I figured I could re-use the threaded hole but at least make it a push button instead of a pull knob. I was able to make it a little shorter than the previous one and it looks a little cleaner too:

Has anyone seen this type of bolt stop before (either pull or push)? I googled a bit and didn't turn up much besides the normal factory versions. Aftermarket/custom stops seem to all be the rocker type, and obviously require machine work to the receiver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Sinclair-Brownells sells them. Even though they are ugly a lot of them were used in the olden days on various Remingtons.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clue. After fighting the inane sinclair (brownells) web site for a while I used google to search their site and find this: