New
Find
Notify
Tools

BAR rebarrel to 35 Whelen?
 Login/Join

<boreal>
posted
Can a BAR be rebarreled to a cartridge like the 35 Whelen. Is it simple enough for most gunsmiths to accomplish?

I think a BAR 35 Whelen would be a super big-game gun! [Smile]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
getting a remington alreay in whelen would solve that cheaper, faster, and mebbe better...

yes, it can be done

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easier and cheaper to have it rebored. I had that done to my BLR, 30-06 to .35 Whelen.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
<boreal>
posted
Thanks for the replies.

jeffeosso,
Were you alluding to a Rem 700, 7400, 7600? I don't remember if they chambered the 7600 or 7400 (or both?) for 35 Whelen. My favorite shotgun is a Rem Wingmaster, so maybe a 7600 (I despise Monte Carlo stocks)? Hmmmmm..
I already have a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen, a BAR in 270 Win, a Rem 742 in 30-06, and a Rem 7400 in 30-06. I was looking for something different. [Smile] I much prefer the BAR to the 7600 or 7400.

Recoil Bob,
Thanks, that's probably the way to go! I'm no gunsmith, but now that I compared case measurements (shoulder angle, etc.), I suppose a rebore is all I might need. No chamber work or anything?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think they check the headspace and make sure it's OK but I'm not sure. When LaBounty rebored mine it was assumed that it included any re-chambering necessary. Maybe they just clean it up, perhaps the throat needs to be cut. Anyway it was included in the price.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way is to have the barrel rebored.

The new bore then is neck and throat reamed to 35 Whelen. The old body and shoulder is not touched.

Beware -- some of the BAR barrels were chrome plated in the bores.
This will wipe out most of the reamers used in the reboring.

It might also take some work on your part to find loads that will properly cycle the action. This is due to the pressure curves and the old 30-06 gas port.

Check to see if you have clearance in the magazine for the larger dia neck of the Whelen.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote