New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action Life
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an old (1966 vintaqe)788 Remington action that is very close to getting rebarrled for the third time. Each time it has been rebarreled it has been in 308 Win. and will be again. This action has nearly 9000 rounds on it. Just how many rounds is an action good for. It has been shot a lot but never abused with extremely heavy loads. And I know the 788 is a strong action. And even though the 788 action is a strong action, everything has a point in time when it becomes work hardened and stress cracks start to develop. I would think the locking lugs would the most likely to develop stress cracks. Any one have any opinions or have seen this occur?

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight...RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
River Rat--

The 788 has small locking lugs compared with guns that we KNOW have had a half a millon rounds through them.

I sure wouldn't worry about 9000 rounds. The ATC M-14s were rebarreled at 12,000 and it wasn't uncommon to see one with the third barrel in 1967.....and they were used another three years after I left!!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a 1974 vintage 788 (in 308) that is in for repairs right now (I broke the soft brazed bolt handle off it) and it has in excess of 10,000 rounds through it. It has withstood all the stupid mistakes that I made while learning to reload 20 years ago and is in excellent shape. I had the lugs inspected with a 24 power borescope and the action magnufluxed last year and it received a perfect bill of health. I fully expect to pass it down to the first left handed grandchild that I get.

Posts: 12690 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Design life for Ruger M77 cast actions is 50,000 rounds minimum. Never have heard of a Ruger action "breaking" though. Most forged actions will supposedly last even longer. Can't speak for the M788 Remington knowledgeably, but would suspect it is barely broken in...

AC

[ 05-31-2003, 10:07: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote