New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X 30-06 will it work as a 375?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could you rechamber, and rebarrel an Interarms Mark X from 30-06 to 375, H & H?

Or is the action too short?

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
All the MkX actions were the same length. The short action had a block in the back of the magazine. They made a factory 375 on the action. It had a longer magazine box and the feedramp was altered to accept it.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Socrates, see the answer to Fritz on the "300 H & H" thread. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
soc,
Yes you can do that but be sure your smith opens the action in the rear, not the front and you will have a nice rifle indeed.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
"Mark X 30-06 will it work as a 375?"

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
soc,
Yes you can do that but be sure your smith opens the action in the rear, not the front and you will have a nice rifle indeed.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Factory 375 H&H length Mark X magnum actions are all opened to the front. And they work just great.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Sorry Westpac, I was Necro-posting to remind Ray what he said about opening a Mauser to the rear only for a 375 conversion.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Sorry Westpac, I was Necro-posting to remind Ray what he said about opening a Mauser to the rear only for a 375 conversion.

Yeah, I guess I should have read the original posting dates. Big Grin But unless something has changed in the past 9 years, the info should still be good. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They also still only lengthen the magazine box to the front. Which means there is precious little aftermarket bottom metal that will actually fit a MK X 375. So I cut the nose out of some Sunny Hill and voila! Has worked like a champ since 1990 or so even though the gun was upgraded to 375 WBY, then 300/8 Mag and finally 416 Rem. Never had an issue with any of them regarding the open mag box.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Here is how Jeffery did their 404s in 1912, they removed the front of the magazine box, modified the feed ramp & rails accordingly:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
They also still only lengthen the magazine box to the front. Which means there is precious little aftermarket bottom metal that will actually fit a MK X 375. So I cut the nose out of some Sunny Hill and voila! Has worked like a champ since 1990 or so even though the gun was upgraded to 375 WBY, then 300/8 Mag and finally 416 Rem. Never had an issue with any of them regarding the open mag box.

That's what I do. It's a slick modification. In fact I have a standard magazine length Mark X magnum action in the shop right now that needs to be opened for a 375 H&H. Maybe I'll take some "during" pictures and post them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I think a call to Duane Wiebe might be in order. He has great bottom metal for Mark Xs. I have a Mark X .458 Lott at his shop now awaiting a new bolt handle. His bottom metal will work just fine. Call him and get in line.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Socrates: Could you rechamber and rebarrel an Interarms Mark X from 30-06 to 375 H&H?
I'd trade your 30-06 for a Whitworth or Alaskan 375, or whatever they call the current Remington version, by far the cheapest and most expedient route to a 375 Mark X.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not a 9.3x62? classic in a mauser.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:

Probably because it would be a 9.3 and not a .375 H&H

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:

Probably because it would be a 9.3 and not a .375 H&H

i can read but the OP asked merely about rebarrelling and re-chambering. implied in my response is also a "no" to the original question. hence, my suggestion.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote