Notify
Tools

Custom Sako TRG?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Custom TRG?

I have been looking for a reasonable way to build a good 338 Lapua. What do you think of this guys idea?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the best and most reasonable way to acquire a rifle in .338 Lapua and have the accuracy it was intended to have is a Sako TRG 42.

Good luck,
Roland

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I think a TRGS with a McMillan A5 and a 28 inch #5 fluted Lilja will be a bit cheaper and more accurate than a TRG-42.

Stock $650 (saddle cheek piece)
barrel $850 installed
TRGS 338 lapua donor rifle $850-950
Black gunkote $100
Badger rail installed $175
Total $1775-1885.

Versus

TRG 42 $2700-3200

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99

If you are looking for more information on tactical rifles then check out this website below. They build wonderfuly accurate rifles. I would buy one of these rifles before I bought a Sako TRG. But thats just me. Call John up on the phone and visit with him.

http://www.vandykerifles.com/rifle_pricing.htm

Hope this helps, and have a happy Thanksgiving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
D99,

You can't compare your configuration with the TRG 42 you will find a lot of info on this subject on most sniper forums. And price wise: http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=34926
Sako TRG 42 Rifle (338 Lapua Mag) $ 2,268.00 is not bad at all.

Good luck,
Roland

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Roland,

Why?

McMillan A5 (most common brand and model on all new US contract Goverment sniper rifles).

Lilja (most accurate easily available barrel)

Your right this will be better.

I am saving $800 by not using a custom action like the MCRT or the Nesika. Not sure it's worth it in the long run.

one of us
posted Hide Post
D99,

I own and shoot different .338 Lapua weapon systems, if you make the full analysis and compare pro and cons you will come to the conclusion like many professionals that the TRG 42 is hard to beat considering its purpose.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/military-338-lapua-rifles-trg42-awsm/

Success,thumb
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
D99, I can offer this intel. I have a TRG-S that has been restocked into a McMillan, bedded the whole nine yards, and it is damned accurate. I like the rig a whole lot, and it is a bit more of a 'sporter' compared to my TRG-22.

Having said that, my TRG-22 is UNBELIEVABLY accurate. The 2 stage trigger is something I couldn't figure out how to get put onto my TRG-S or I damn well would have. If I could, I would have that trigger on every rifle I own if I could! If one of my pals--or me-- isn't shooting particularly well with any other rig, we just run a few downrange through the TRG, we call it the 'Truth Detector', if you can shoot at all this thing will do it. If the groups aren't one hole at 100, your form is off.

Also, just a side note, the TRG-22 will shoot lights out with a bunch of different loads.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
I think a TRGS with a McMillan A5 and a 28 inch #5 fluted Lilja will be a bit cheaper and more accurate than a TRG-42.

I'm not saying that you couldn't make a nice accurate rifle that way but I seriously doubt it's going to be more accurate than a TRG-42. The TRG-42 has the best trigger I've ever used, superb magazine system, superb bipod system etc. etc. it's a rifle that's more than the sum of it's parts.
In matches at my local club my TRG-42 has managed to beat full blown Benchrest rifles from time to time. It shoots better than I can usually shoot it. You might equal the accuracy of one but you are going to have a hard time beating it..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I guess I will try and find a used TRG-42. I have handled it and I don't care for the stock. I think I could build one out of laminate and aluminum as a replacement to duplicate the stock on the L96 or the A5.

Roland not to be a snickety bastard, but "professional" your a full time LE or Military sniper of some sort?

Maybe I can find a reasonably priced used L96 as well. Keep the one I like best, or keep both.

The goal is a 10-11 pound set up I can pack in a Eberstock ruck and swing on and off a horse.