New
Find
Notify
Tools

re-crowning a barrel
 Login/Join

<thomas purdom>
posted
I've got two CZ rifles, the ones that Mr. Belk likes to say were crowned with a brick. The 7mm Mauser shoots fantastically, but the school is still out on my CZ 527 in .223. I was seriously thinking about having a re-crown job done on both. Each is a functional hunting rifle, so, what degree should I specify and, to be honest, even though on another post a few said re-crowning is not an expensive job, what kind of cost should I expect to pay and be completely fair about it. I live in New Mexico and there isn't a gunsmith in my area that can do the job, so I willl have to go elsewhere. Also, with re-crowning, if I have a darned accurate load now in my CZ 550 American in 7x57mm Mauser, will I have to work up a completely new load, or does one simply tweak the existing accurate load? I am not trying to be a smartass ... I really do not know? Thanks for any help ... Tom Purdom [Smile]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
There's no Gunsmith in Albuquerque that can do that for you? I need to move back I guess. [Wink] From $20.00 to $35.00 is a fair price. Dependent upon the configuration & method of mounting of the barrel attachments.
 -

[ 01-01-2003, 18:49: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your loads would probably work OK if one does not remove too much material when re-crowning. Normally, all that is taken off is .005 to .010 at most. I normally charge $35 for a re-crown.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just paid $20 for a cut and re-crown job that worked out fine. I think the guy cut me a pretty good deal. Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Tom,

Recrowning is like lengthening the forcing cone in a shotgun, if done correctly, it can do nothing BUT improve performance and enhance accuracy. If your rifle shoots good with a particular load now, then it should shoot no worse having been crowned.

Depending on whether I have to pull the barrel or not, I charge between 50.00 and 75.00 to machine a precision crown.

Malm

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Economics.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote