Find
Notify
Tools

Twisted action, can it be saved?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I have a VZ-24 action and a M96 Swede action that were both twisted by an incompetent gunsmith while removing the barrel. I am not sure if he did it personaly or one of his flunkies but in either case both are twisted enouth that the bolt will not function. Is it possible to twist them back and salvage them or are they both a complete loss?

If they were twisted back and the properly heat treated after the drill, tap, surface prep and such were completed would that take the twisted area back to its origional strength?

Any suggestions in this area would be very appreciated.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did he warn you ahead that this might happen and say he woulnd't accept responsibility? If not I think that he owes you on this. I had a barrel taken off a Kar98 once but the gunsmith told me ahead of time that on this action it might crack the ring and said they wouldn't cover it. I had him do it and no problem, but was all clear ahead of time.

Don't know whether straightening and rehardening would be all right as I am not a smith.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Will,
sorry!!

i'd junk em, and relieve the barrel the next time

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I hate to be pessimistic on this one too but I'd agree with Jeffeosso on this one too. The biggie here to me is that these actions are so reasonable that you would pay as much or most likely more to have it straightened, and then you will always have a suspect VZ24 action. If you were to try to straighten it yourself you'd have a nice basis for a 7.62X39 action I'd think.

It pains me to write this, as I'm such a , well my wife calls it "cheap" but I prefer frugal, individual. However, I can't visualize how it got bent if a proper action wrench was used, but I'll let you fight that battle with your smith.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I knew there was a chance of it happening but he said it would not be a problem. And if he used a proper action wrench I dont see how he could twist it. I wont go into details but he is a well known smith, especially in the black powder cartridge world, but he not only twisted both actions but also when I received a Win 94 receiver from him that he sent in the same shipment, the receiver was so badly rusted and pitted that it is ruined. He refuses to answer my emails phone calls, and letters so it looks like it will take some legal action to set it right. Plus he didnt return 2 actions or custom barrels.

I was hoping that the could be salvaged but my gut sensed they would probably end up as scrap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
I'm really not familiar with Mauser actions, however, I thought the barrels were fitted in such a manner that the breech face contacts the inner ring rather than the barrel shoulder contacting the receiver face. If this is so how would making a relief cut in front of the receiver help, assuming that is what you were refering to..

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rancher,
in a perfect world, it would hit both...

As I have twisted my own actions, I read this on this forum for enfields... and it certainly helps with mausers...

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1Tanker, it would certainly be helpful to know who this so called "well known gunsmith" is, so that any of us who might be thinking of having him work on one of our firearms, doesn't end up having it butchered, as you did.

Thanks. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I would be more than happy to let you know his name. But since I am going to have to pursue legal action I think it would be in my best interests not to do so at this time just in case it could be used against me somehow that I was "bashing" him somehow.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try to save it.....untwisting them is nearly impossible.

any smith that twists a '98 action removing the barrel is a complete dunce.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To twist an action one would have to have used a wrench entirely unsuited for the job. I have seen a lot of 96s which were not twisted but in which the reciever ring was crushed with an outside wrench. If an action was truly twisted behind the receiver ring I would probably straighten it if it was a 98. I would be less inclined to do so on the 96. My reasoning is that the 98 ring is quite massive and very strong while the 96 is not. After seeing one 96 which "grenaded" and which had apparently been damaged during rebarreling,I'm a little more cautious with the 96s. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote