New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber rifle's 84m & 8400
 Login/Join

<sendero338>
posted
What are your thought's on these rifle's.
Quality and field experience?

posted Hide Post
I'll give you my 2 cents on the 84m. The rifle fit me better than any other I have picked up. It just felt right when I held it, great balance. There were a few things I did not like. The bolt throw was real close to the scope and would actually touch the butler creek flip cap when I cycled the bolt. Working the bolt was like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, definitaly needed work. Unfortunately I only owned it for one night. Took it home and was working the bolt and dry firing(which they claim is ok in the manual) and the firing pin and sear were not working well together. It would start to cock but as the handle dropped the firing pin would discharge. I have no idea if it would have caused a round to go off or not. Took it back to the gun shop I bought it and they said it looked like the trigger had not been set properly at the factory and that they had fixed it. I declined to take the gun because I was a little worried that the problem might start again somewhere down the road when I was up in a tree. I sure did not want to take a chance in having a round discharge when I closed the bolt. Still don't know why it was working when I took it home and then started malfunctioning after cycling the bolt about 50 times. I like new things to work correctly and not need work done to get it right. Probably just got a lemon and not indicative of all their guns. when I was doing my research before buying it I had heard others had feeding problems with the 84m. Good luck

Bama

Posts: 6 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
<sendero338>
posted
Thanks for your reply Bama, Had a chance to handle a few last night. Nice rifle's but the quality was not to my liking. You are right the bolt assembly is a bit well let me say questionable at least to me. For the money there going for the longmaster that is, maybe might consider Tikka or Howa quality seem's better at least in my opinion. Again thank you Bama.