New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 9.3x64mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just thought some would like to know. I recently re-barreled a post-'68,CRF M70 to 9.3x64. The rifle was originally a .270. Modifications were limited to opening up the bolt face and adjusting the extractor hook. No work necessary for good feeding. An easy conversion!

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! If that is the case, then I imagine one might get similar results converting to 10.75x68. Mmmmm....

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Yep very nice cartridge. It was designed for a M98 so it will fit a lot of actions with a minimum of fuss.

I will be building one soon, already have a Oberndorf M98 and a Shilen barrel.

The barrel below, it is 29 inches long. I will have a reamer ground with a long throat so the long 9.3 bullets may be seated with the bullet base at the shoulder/neck junction, where they should be and not in the powder space. Rifle will be built "Cape Rifle Style", long barrel, iron sights and the stock correctly configured for a good sight picture.

The barrel below: The one in front is a 338 25 inches long.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Thanks for the info! If that is the case, then I imagine one might get similar results converting to 10.75x68. Mmmmm....

Should be no problem. Could possibly even use a magnum magazine box/ follower to get an extra round in

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI I get great service out of RWS brass in 9.3 x 64mm. Huntington's gets that in every four to six months. Simply awesome brass.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x64 deserves to be more popular than it is. Flat shooting and powerful. The selection of bullets is improving. Barnes, Nosler,Speer,Swift along with a few imports like Norma,Woodliegh and Privi. As mentioned RWS brass is superb and Jamison and Quality cartridge now list it as well. In a pinch it can be made from 338 brass as well if you have a small lathe.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And my take is that it is offers little practical advantage over the 62 (maybe 150 fps), and yet introduces logistics issues along with it.
Not to disuade anyone from it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Minor logistical issues aside, the 9.3X64 is arguably the best single cartridge to hunt the world. Even the really big stuff is doable with 300 grain solids.

I own quite a few nice rifles but particular 404, 9.3X64 and 270 rifles are the three rifles that will stay with me until the bitter end.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Minor logistical issues aside, the 9.3X64 is arguably the best single cartridge to hunt the world. Even the really big stuff is doable with 300 grain solids.

I own quite a few nice rifles but particular 404, 9.3X64 and 270 rifles are the three rifles that will stay with me until the bitter end.

Forrest i agree with the 404, 9.3 x 64, instead of 270 i would go with my 270 Weatherby or my 7mm-08, probably 7mm-08. You've shot a lot of different calibers, so i listen to what you say.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And my take is that it is offers little practical advantage over the 62 (maybe 150 fps), and yet introduces logistics issues along with it.
Not to disuade anyone from it.

Tom, i have a 9,3 x 66 as designed by Erkki Kaupi, the ballistician of Sako. It gives the 9.3 x 62 the oomph it should have had from the get go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x66 should have been a 9.5.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Such a creature already exists.

A better version is the 376 Steyr. love mine!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
You would be better off getting a 300 Rem Ultra mag action and just putting a 404 Jeffery barrel on. Much easier.

A 10.75X68 may need more work on the action.

quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote