Find
Notify
Tools

PLAIN walnut blanks needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Anyone have a source for some PLAIN walnut blanks. Wanting to restock a couple Mauser FN49s and looking for wood that would appear normal.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Contact Chris @ Walnut Grove Gunstocks...he can fix you up...one of the best,highly recommended.

http://www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com/

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks I had already sent him an email this morning. Will see what he has.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Anyone have a source for some PLAIN walnut blanks. Wanting to restock a couple Mauser FN49s and looking for wood that would appear normal.

Calico Hardwoods is a walnut processor that sells blanks to many of the big names(rem, win, weatherby, kimber, etc.)

They can provide you with anything from $2,500 exhibition blanks to $30 plain blanks.

I would contact them. http://www.calicohardwoods.com/

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a plain chunk of straight grained slab sawn walnut at a local hardwood dealer for $60 that yielded 4 blanks.

Seems to me that if you call something a "stock blank" the price goes way up compared to if you call it a "board".

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a plain chunk of straight grained slab sawn walnut at a local hardwood dealer for $60 that yielded 4 blanks.

You got a heck of a deal. Last I checked getting 8/4+ 6" wide walnut was in the $8-10per bf that puts you in the $30+ range per stock.

I must admit I hadn't thought of trying to find a basic slab of walnut.

Heard back from Chris. Believe he will be able to help me with what I need.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

You got a heck of a deal. Last I checked getting 8/4+ 6" wide walnut was in the $8-10per bf that puts you in the $30+ range per stock.

I must admit I hadn't thought of trying to find a basic slab of walnut.

Heard back from Chris. Believe he will be able to help me with what I need.

This piece was 7.5"x2"x60". I don't remember how to convert this to board feet... A little narrow for a stock with cheekpiece, but plenty of wood otherwise.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A board foot is 12x12x1 inch.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't remember how to convert this to board feet

A bf is 1'x1'x1" so your board was 6.25BF. So you paid around $9.6/bf. Around the going rate. Sounds like your pattern allowed you to alternate the direction and nest the pattern to make the most use possible.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K